1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone/Help with Ex Classroom Crab

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by kolomomma, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolomomma

kolomomma Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Everyone,

I am a stay at home mom with 2 boys and have recently become a hermit crab guardian. I am keeping many types of reptiles, inverts, mammals, and birds, but have not kept crabs before.

A teacher (not even my son's teacher) said that she heard that I took in unwanted animals and asked if I would take her "classroom crab". I can never turn down a homeless animal, so I agreed. I studied up for about a week and brought him(?) home Friday.

He was being kept in one of those plastic "Hermit Crab Haven" things with no heat source. I got him a ten gallon tank with a UTH on one side (keeping temps in high 70's). The tank has a screen cover which I partially covered to keep humidity high. I am using Eco Earth and sand mix for bedding. He has a hide on both the cool and warm side of the tank, a dish of fresh water with a sponge, and a dish of salt water. The salt water I bought pre-mixed at the pet store and the fresh I dechlorinated myself with an additive. At the school they only offered him dried shrimp and the teacher said she hadn't seen him eat ever (she got him over Spring Break). So I've been trying a variety of things. Peanut butter, crackers, dried seaweed, fresh fruits and veggies, mealworms, tuna fish. He hasn't eaten anything or even come out of the hide.

Now I understand that he's only been with us since Friday and may be stressed by a new enviornment, but I want to do everything I possibly can. I also realize that the damage may have already been done by the time he spent at the school, but I still want to try. Does anyone have any suggestions? Something else I should try feeding? Should I get him a friend? I read that they can become "depressed" when kept alone.

He was moving around when I got him and put him in the new cage, so I know he's alive. Tonite I tried putting the food dish in the hide with him (that's worked for other anorexic animals I've rescued). We'll see . . .

Any help would be appreciated.

2. kolomomma

kolomomma Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, now I feel stupid. I didn't think my previous post worked and that's why I submitted this new one. I see that some of you already responded with some good advice. I will shop for a buddy this week.

I did have one other question: Is the water dechlorinator for reptiles (Reptisafe) okay for crabs or do I have to buy the crab specific one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.