1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! Crabbie newb here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by renren, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renren

renren Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi!
    My name is Renee, and my daughters just recieved two adorable little hermit crabs this past Tuesday, so, I've been trying to research and learn about them..

Moved them into the new 20 gallon aquiarium I purchased,bought some interesting stuff for inside (new water dishes, crab shack,log)..

The bigger one Spongebob, has been sitting on the the saltwater dish all evening, and I have also had to refill the freshwater 2 times tonight...

So, what's up with that? Also, he lost a leg tonight! It just fell off!:confused:

2. renren

renren Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, both have since died. :(
    I got 2 new ones from the local pet store,but they are not friendly at all!

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

You shouldn't handle them for the first two months or so to allow them time to destress. Those little guys were out on a beach up until a month or two ago, eating all the good food they wanted, drinking all the water they wanted, and then they were taken by harvesters and subjected to awful pet store conditions. Give them space to adjust to your home and their new life before handling them.

What all is in your tank? What do you feed them and how do you treat their water (what brands)?

4. renren

renren Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks you emmac350!:)
    I have a 20 gallon aquarium, with riverbed sand (from the pet store) , I mix them (declorhinated) salt water according to directions,fresh (nonclorinated ) water,the crab food, is "hermit the Crab" I give them fruits or veggies also. the aquarium is covered with a mesh cover, which is (partially) covered with plastic wrap to keep the humidity at the proper level. the temp guage reads 70 degrees. They have a log, crabshack....
    Food and water is changed every to every other day.

I think that covers it. ny questions, just ask.:)

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

What kind of dechlorinator and salt mix do you use? What brand?

You shouldn't use the commercial food at all. It doesn't meet their needs nutritionally. It's kind of like trying to feed humans oatmeal that's been fortified with "all our nutritional needs" for every meal of every day - would you want to eat it? I wouldn't. Additionally, commercial foods contain preservatives and pesticides that are lethal to crabs. I'd toss that food and offer them healthy dried foods from the Addiction store or just fresh food. On a daily basis they would need a source of calcium (eggshells or a cuttlebone both work nicely), a meat (save a piece of it before you season it for dinner and microwave it for them; it's easiest if you cut off 2 pieces or so every time and freeze the rest for those days where you end up just eating pizza or something like that...we all have those days, and that's why I've got a gallon-sized Ziploc bag in the freezer full of all sorts of goodies) that you can even flavor a bit with honey before cooking, or maple syrup before cooking, or even the few herbs that are crab-safe like cilantro, and a fruit and veggie daily. Crabs also don't care if food is 'freezer burned' so if you've ever had to throw things away because of that, save them (if they aren't seasoned) and give them to your crabs.

What kind of log are you talking about? Is it one of those half logs or just a fun-shaped climbing log? Is it painted/dyed?

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to HCRU!!!

7. renren

renren Hi, I'm New Here!

I use a bottled water that states on the bottle that it's chlorine free. I purchased sea salt from the grocery store, and mix it with said bottled water, for salt water.The log was what I got from the local pet store...It "looks" natural, I assumed it was.

Thanks for all the advice and welcomes!
    I would love to see these 2 make it, and (pardon the pun) come out of their shell socially...

8. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I had to write to the company that made the little hidey logs sold in pet stores to find out what they are made of, If you have the half hollowed out log it is either pine or cedar and both can kill your crabs it is poison to them.
    It would be nice if they actually wrote the type of wood on the package and NOT sell it in the Hermit crab section but they do on both accounts :(
    If that is the wood you are talking about I strongly suggest you take it out.
    A good wood for crabs is Cholla wood and you can find it MUCH cheaper in a craft store than a pet store, usually $3-$4 for a foot long piece. They love to climb it AND they eat it. :D
    Sea salt should be the marine variety such as Oceanic Natural sea salt for salt water aquariums. There is sometimes stuff in the sea salt from the grocery store that we use to season food that can hurt the crabs.
    The Oceanic is very cheap like $5 for a bag that will last you a very long time. You can find it in with the Salt Water aquarium stuff at any pet store.
    The mix ratio is 1.5 tsp per cup of water. Salt water is VERY important for crabs and aids in molting.

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to HCRU!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.