1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Ya'll

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by HERMEZ, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

What do you have as a bagkground frenchpea? It looks like a plastic bag.

And where does everyone get thier fake plants from? Also do you know what kind of shell Proteus (if thats even his/her name or just the name of the photo) is in, I have 2 of them and my crabs seem to change in and out of those and a pearl turbo. Where did you get your grapevine? And where do you buy your shells? Thats enough questions for you I suspect, you're probably sick of answering my q's.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I get my plants from Walmart and assorted stores. I only like the silk kind :)

3. Matt

Matt Guest

Whats wrong with the synthetic plastic ones? Well I can take a stab at it.

And thanks, next time I am out I will be sure to go check out Wally World. What do you do to get them ready to put in your tank, do you like boil them or something ???

4. Matt

Matt Guest

5. Shadow

Shadow Guest

I actually got my grapevines from my backyard, my mom has (attempted) to grow some grapes. Unfortunately she threw much of the branches out before I got a hold of them, only managed to save two.

Proteus (E in avatar is Callisto who's wearing a SeaShellCity tiger moon shell) is in a rock shell in both pictures of him. His newest one is tan, while the one he original had was black... I think they're called rock shells anyway, or thais hemastoma. I got them from the same place I got my E's, a local mom and pop store, College Greens Pet Center... Other then that, the rest of my shells (excluding some green turbos which are from Micheal's) are from Naples.

My fake plant/log thing (see newer pics in album) I got from Riven, who says she got it at PetCo. The rest of the fake plants are aquarium plastic plants from PetSmart.

Edit: I know how to spell! I swear I do!

Edit 2: LOL just realized I totally forgot to upload the pics of the adopted crabs from three weeks ago... doing that now. ::)

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I think the plastic ones look cheesy IMHO I like to recreate natural surroundings as much as possible. I rinse them in salt water.

7. Matt

Matt Guest

Duh! Saltwater makes sence, you would melt the plastic bits that hold them togehter, and probably the glue that holds the leafs onto it. Duh! Duh! Duh!

And thanks for the info.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OH believe me I have been stupid enough to micro wave them. Trees became bushes ;D ;D never again!!

9. the plants I got are a mix of silk and plastic, and they both look fine, I think at least. see the 44g in my post on the picture section and there's a nice mix of both

10. Matt

Matt Guest

Yeah, I see them now. I cant see a difference myslef, is there a difference? :eek:

11. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Well I went over to the Pet Center after school yesterday (well two days ago now as it's past midnight lol) and brought about 20 caresheets with me.

I was surprised to see an... acceptable tank. They changed the hermit crab tank, and it's SLIGHTLY smaller, however it's lid seems to be half covered in plastic or saran wrap or something. Lots of condensation (or water from spraying?), along with tons of food, water, and a few spare shells. Gravel substrate, matching the purple lid to make it all pretty and such of course. :-\

The worker there seemed interested that I'd brought in caresheets, and thanked me for doing so. She placed them near the tank, so hopefully it'd be seen... Even let me get a second crab for free (brought a coupon...) and so I picked the two smallest E's in there. Later on, my dad walked in (after I'd gone back to the car) with another coupon and got a larger... something. I can't quite identify it! He looks so much like an E but is almost black, and has reddish-orange and black eyestalks. Missing half a leg too, but doesn't much look like a cav... No red at all in antennae.

So I've 'rescued' 5 total now. I plan on getting my aunts to go Monday (if I can talk them into it)...

I've talked to Vicki about a letter to them encouraging their improvements, and suggesting that they change a few more things to make the tank satisfactory...

12. the red eyestalks make me think cav...do you have pics?

13. Shadow

Shadow Guest

It's more of an orange-red then a true cav red type color. The coloring of the exo reminds me of the cav you posted about on the HCA  while ago FP, a rich brownish-black with dark yellow on the top and bottom of the left set of legs.

I don't have a camera (I should say a good camera. I do have a 6 year old pile of junk in the closet lol), I've had to borrow one for my photos.  :(

14. I really like my cav, he's a sweetie, but very shy. I wish I could find him a cav friend... :-\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.