1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey there - I'm new here!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Pipper, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipper

Pipper Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey there everyone!

First of all, let me say I am so glad to have found this group! Such a wealth of information here! We got 2 hermit crabs yesterday. My 4 year old has one in her preschool class and really liked it, so yesterday my husband calls me and tells me a store in the mall is giving them away if you buy the kit. My two daughters and I go up there and they each pick out a crab. (they named them Pete and Shynee) The guy at the store was very nice and "seemed" to know what he was talking about, but I found out later that night as I logged onto to the internet that we were given some pretty bad information! Needless to say, I spent the entire day going around town, getting all the proper items needed to take care of these two little crabs! What were "free" hermit crabs has turned into almost $100 dollars of stuff for them to be happy and healthy! That's ok though, my two girls are so excited and love them to death.

One question for you guys... I have managed to get the crabitat to stay between 70% and 90% humidity, but it keeps fluctuating. I read that it should be at a stable 70%. Is fluctating between 70 & 90 ok or do I need it to be at 70% all the time? If so, how do I get it to stabilize? Any help would be appreciated- I just want them to be able to breathe without suffering!!

Thanks - Michelle

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

75-80 is what you really want.......fluctuating is not really good. Read all the stickies if you havent!

WELCOME :D

3. Winter

Winter "Never Molted"

LOL, for a second I saw your name and thought you were my mom. But I'm not four and there's only one of me. She said something similar though, "You said these were easy pets. Why did I just pay over $100 in supplies?"

I'm new myself, so I don't know if my welcome means anything, but welcome anyway! I'd be completely lost if I hadn't joined this site, everyone is very helpful.

4. MissHaze

MissHaze "Never Molted"

Welcome and congratulations. You will love this site! It is crabtastic! Soon, you will realize the littled shelled wonders are an addiction all their own...lol.

5. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

welcome, your story sounds similer to mine. Get the m home, hope online, go to store an spend Lots of money that you didn't want to spend! but over all
    Their too cute to ignore!!!!!!!!!!

6. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Welcome! :D Congrats on your hermies! This site is great and you'll have an awesome time crabbing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.