1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey guys, New to the CRAB scene!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Solley, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

Hey guys hows it goin?

So im kinda new to the hermit crab scene and i hate to say it, Im kinda addicted now.  I guess its not a bad thing haha.

anyways i first got a hermit crab from wining it at a fair i went to when i was about 14, sadly it passed and i got a couple more recently.  Im 19 now :rockon:.

I got to admit, i really didn't know that hermit crabs needed so much stuff!  Needless to say, i feel bad for not really taking care of these pets earlier so i kicked it into gear and finished making up a "legit" crabitat!

here it is:
    (i have 2 hermits as of now, both PP, one is obvious and the other one is in the turtle shell, BOSS and Turdie are their names)

[img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/IMG_3537.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/IMG_3542.jpg[/img]

I still got a little more work to do on the crabitat.  This set up is a new one i just set up, bigger than my previous set up.  My only problem seems to be getting the humidity right! right now temp is at around 72F and my humidity in the tank is right around 60% which i know is still too low.  However im in the dead of winter right now and the humidity in my room is 30 right now, so i guess its not too bad considering the difference haha.  any idea of how to get my humidity right?  I constantly misted my previous crabitat to the point where it would form condensation on the inside and make the sand, sand castle consistency.  But god every time i opened the lid it would stink like crazy a fishy/musty smell!  I don't want to keep this one as wet as the last one because of that.  any help or ideas?

Also i bought a bag of Oceanic Sea Salt Mix that makes 5 gallons of salt water.  how much of this stuff should i use to create enough salt water to fill the purplish water bowl. As u can see, i don't have any thing in it, because i don't know how much to use lol

Well that's my introduction, more pics, stories, and needing of advice will for sure come soon.  for those wondering things i have in my crabitat are...
    -Fresh water, (water from a spring water dispenser my parents have, the ones with
    the huge jugs of water and the 2 spouts to get the water, like those in office buildings
    lol)
    -Salt water, well soon to have
    -Climbing log and chicken wire cage
    -Kids play sand
    -Under tank heater, real small one but i think it will do for now
    -Temp and humidity gauge
    -Climbing log
    -Sponge in both fresh and salt water bowls
    -Small air pump hooked to an air stone to circulate the fresh water, and hopefully raise
    the humidity!
    -Pot for shelter
    -food shell, containing bits of ham, cheese, peanut butter, and celery for tonight
    :drooltongue:

Thanks all!
    -Solley

2. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Hello! About your food, is the ham seasoned?  It's okay if it's not but can hurt them if it is. And i really don't think they can have chese. I've heard that if you add some salt to the water and it tastes a little salty to you just add a pinch more and it will be all right! Do you have sand enough for your biggest crab to bury itself completly with a little more on the top? This is how much most people use. Welcome to our crab family!

3. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

thanks for the info.  for the ham, no its not seasoned but thanks for the info, also i would say i have enough for it to bury its whole self for sure, not sure as to some on top. ill add some more when i clean.

its really weird though, i put them in their new revamped home, this time with tipped pots for shelter.  I put them in, the climbed all over the place then the big one went in the pot dug as far as he could then just stayed there.  He's been in their for like 24hrs now and I'm wondering if he is molting and if i need to move him to an ISO with a little more moisture and what not.  same thing happened to my smaller one, he went behind a log and hasn't moved in about 24 hrs, should i let them been or try and move them or check on them?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Cheese is fine as a treat once in awhile. Ham isn't because of the preservatives used to cure it as well as the salt in it. Pass on that from now on. Here's a food website that has safe food lists as well as recipes should you feel the urge to get creative with their diet.

www.epicurean-hermit.com

Leave the crabs be. They need to destress. Any handling may cause them to become stressed and that can be lethal.

As for your salt water, follow the mixing directions on it. You definately need deeper bowls. The crabs should be able to submerge in them, as they need to fill and empty their shell water.

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Instructions for mixing smaller amounts of salt water than a gallon can be found at http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modules/news/article.php?storyid=20.

I agree, deeper water bowls are necessary, and if you have an airstone to bubble the water, you don't need to have all of those glass bead things in the bowl too. If your crab does go swimming in a bowl, he/she can climb up the tubing for the bubbler.

Also, I'd recommend taking out the 'chicken wire cage' as it can rust and sicken your crabs (even if it's coated, they will pinch off the coating. Trust me - my guys are currently trying to expose the wires on my thermostat probe wire. They will pick at it until the metal's exposed and then it will rust.

Another thing - if you use sponges, you'll need to sterilize them at least every other day (allow them to completely dry out, then microwave; if they're even damp they will shrink to the size of a pea and not re-grow) to keep them from being bacteria farms.

6. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Judging by your picture, it looks like the sand isn't wet enough.  Is it "sand castle" consistency? Where you can poke your finger down into it, and the hole you make doesn't collapse?  That's what you're aiming for :p