1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Crabbers!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by shelbers91, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi! I'm Shelby! I'm 17. I joined actually a couple days ago, but i got so into the site i forgot to make my welcome post! lol I have 3 small/medium PP Hermies, Lyla, Hermie, and my newest since yesterday Bruce! They live in a 75-80 degree very humid, 29gal tank with climbing toys, natural caves and running space. It looks a bit messy right now cuz they dig up EVERYTHING but i usually rearange it every so often. Any questions please feel free to ask :) And does anyone else here live by Pittsburgh PA?

My Crabitat
    [​IMG]

Lyla And Hermie (in that order)
    [​IMG]

Bruce!
    This is when i had him in the car..
    [​IMG]

2. shelbers91

Then we came home, he bathed, then switched shells lol
    [​IMG]

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Hermie is an often-used name for a hermit crab, but it never gets old!!! I named my first hermit crab Hermie, too!!!

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just a reminder Peeps :)...Please take the time to read the important AND lifesaving information in the FORUM. It will take you a while, but it will save some "head-holding and tears galore" later on.

I can't stress enough the importance of an ISO (isolation) tank. It's a separate tank, usually smaller than your regular tat (crabitat--hermie home) that is set up with the same conditions.
    When you purchase hermies, they are not kept in good conditions from shipping and in the stores, and may have mites, disease, and extreme distress (PPS--post purchase syndrome). If you put them in your main tank right away, they could affect your other crabs as well as your substrate.

By isolating them for 2 to 4 weeks, you can keep your eye on them and get them used to your main tank conditions. If they are sick you can more effectively treat them and they won't affect your main tank. If they should die in ISO, they'll be easier to find and remove.

Just passing along a tidbit so you'll have a happier crabbing experience. :)

~Good Grief~
    Sorry everyone...I didn't notice HermitPaws and CoolDoggy's thread on "ISO" when I wrote this.
    Geez...I need a nap.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Cool! Your tank looks great! Welcome! Mckenny is right. I know several people who have had mites. NOT FUN!

6. shelbers91

yea, i know, i just kinda, well whats that word that starts with an A? well yea i did that cuz i was redoing my ISO tank and sorry, but dad wouldnt let me do it, because he wanted me to manually scrub the bird cages, instead of pressure washing them... wich took way long, if i pressure washed them i wouls have had so much time while they were drying to redo the ISO tank, and would have been done before my BF showed up..

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I really like your crabitat setup, and your crabbies are very cute!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.