1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He's Buried!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by OneOnion, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I woke up today and looked in the tank and saw Deadly buried! He wasnt buried all the way I could still see the top of his shell maybe I didnt make the substrate deep enough? Is he just detressing or is he molting? Help me, please.

2. OneOnion

Wait, no, it was kind of cold in the tank last night... It dropped below 65 degrees Fahrenheit... I dont have a UTH so I just use a lamp. Could that be why he was buried?

3. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

OneOnion, hermies dig A LOT, it's part of their personality.:) Sometimes they dig to destress, molt, or... just to dig!:D He could have buried because the temp. got too low. As long as he's acting normal and eating, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I just heat my tank up (40 gal.) with a lamp and it keeps the temp. just right... at 75 deg. ( I have Straws too). Your lamp should be able to heat up your tank. Maybe you should try a bigger watt bulb? I also use a rheostat, which is a devise you can plug your lamp into and control how hot it gets with a dial... I absolutley love it. It makes adjusting to the temperature changes a lot easier! Anyway, good luck, and I hope this helped!:)

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I use a Night Glo bulb. Mine is the black bulb that is a very pale blue when you turn it on. It simulates moonlight, but it is a heat bulb as well. I think it comes in wattages 25, 40, 75 at the stores. (Petsmart, aquarium/pet stores, etc.) There is also the red bulb that is a night time heat bulb, but I personnally don't like the red glow. If you get one, make sure it is for Nightime. By the way, what size is your tank?

5. Mckenny

I use a Night Glo bulb. Mine is the black bulb that is a very pale blue when you turn it on. It simulates moonlight, but it is a heat bulb as well. I think it comes in wattages 25, 40, 75 at the stores. (Petsmart, aquarium/pet stores, etc.) There is also the red bulb that is a night time heat bulb, but I personnally don't like the red glow. If you get one, make sure it is for Nightime. By the way, what size is your tank? That really is too cold for the hermies. You could switch the daytime bulb out and put in the night time bulb and that way you wouldn't have to buy two lamps.

They make a really nice hood that has the fluorescent bulb and the night time incandescent bulbs built in together with seperate switches, but it is on the expensive side. Of course if you plan to stay in this it may be worth your while to check into it sometime. :)

6. OneOnion

I have a ten gallon tank. I might go to Home Depot or Lowes today to get some sand maybe I can get a night time bulb there too.

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Just make sure not to dig up your crab to change the substrate, wait until he comes up himself. It sounds very likely he may have dug in to try to get warm if the substrate was warmer than the air temp. 65 is alarmingly low for crabs, and can be dangerous for them. If you can, get a cone shaped spotlight type lamp (they have them at the pet stores) so you can set the lamp directly on the lid (depending on the type of lid you have). Some may speak against this but I use a 50 watt bulb and it heats my 10 gal. tanks just right. I have a moon glo on one tank, and a red night bulb on the other 10 gal. Each are in clamp style spotlight fixtures, and are not directly on top of the tank, but pointed at it from an angle. I can take a pic if you like.
    You likely won't find a night bulb at Lowe's you'll have to head to your pet store.
    You can also order them online Exo-Terra Night-glo Moonlight Bulbs | Night Bulbs | Reptile Bulbs & Lamps | Reptile - ThatPetPlace.com

8. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

i only see my big guy about 3 times a week because he lives under his saltwater dish! hahahaha lol!

9. Mckenny

Sorry about the double post everyone....I hit the wrong button and I wondered where it disappeared to! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.