1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermits are dying, one by one!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by HatterasCrabs, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HatterasCrabs

HatterasCrabs "Never Molted"

My hermits are dying:(. I have lost one and one more is almost gone with a third that is not doing well. Two are down and three are semi active but really don't come out to eat (if you did your math right, that is 8 total :)). They will change places but I'm up a lot through the night checking on them and no one is eating. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I hate to lose all these hermits. Should I check on the ones that are down? I'm guessing they are molting but who knows with what I have going on now.
    The one that is about to die spent nearly two days perched on top of the sponge and this morning saw she had dropped a leg by the water bowl where she was. The one that is dead looked like he was starting to bury but after two days not moving down or anywhere I picked him up and he was dead.
    I have one that keeps going under the half log even when I take him out and put him near the food he goes right back...not sure what is going on with these guys.

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? 2 weeks

Do you know what species they are? PP??

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? Got them at the same time and are the first crabs I've owned

Tank Size: 20 gal

Lid Type: Light

Placement of tank in your home: dinning room table for now

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): moist beach sand

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? No

Placement of Gauges: bottom middle of tank

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % Temp normal range but humidity is consitantly changing although I don't do anything different to make that happen. I'm guessing it goes up and down when the AC comes on is the only thing I can figure out.

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): None since the temp gauge reads normal

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): don't use light that much...came with the tank.

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? yes, three places

Is there any metal in your tank? no

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? half log, rocks, one of the wood log things (can't think of the name right now).

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? spring

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? don't use it

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Both and I think it was Oceanic or something like that.

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? dishes and a sponge in the fresh water

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? at least two for each

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? no

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? try to but do have children

How often do you handle them? not much recently since they haven't been moving around a lot. They won't come out to eat, I've tried everything

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? no

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? yes

What types of foods do you feed? fresh veggies and fruits, dried shrimp and dried bloodworms. Have more on order.

What do you use as a calcium supplement? sea shells and cuttlebone
    </span>

If you can't answer all of them, answer as many quetions as truthfully as you can so we can get started! [​IMG]

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

HatterasCrabs,

Having them for two weeks means they are going through PPS (Post Purchase Stress).
    They are getting use to their new home. It is best to have a hands off and allow them to do what they want. If the one guy wants to stay by the log, let him. They will eat when they are ready. Loosing limbs is one of the symptoms of PPS.

You need to get your humidity and temperature to stay at a constant. Constant fluctuations is not good. You want 75° temp and 75% humidity. (plus or minus a few)
    You should also have a cool side and a warm side. Many use an under the tank heater but place it on one side of the tank rather than under the tank.

If the humidity gets high, then raise the lid a bit. If it gets too low, close the lid or spray the tank with the spring water.

Did you give them a salt water bath when you brought them home?

3. HatterasCrabs

No, no bath. I have never had crabs before and had read conflicing things about baths.
    I'm really not sure what to do to keep the humidity constant. I have the lid cracked open and the humidity will go up and down without me touching the lid or changing anything about the tank....does that make sense, it is like it corrects it's self. You would think it would go back to normal unless you did something to make that happen. I will get an under tank heater...I'm guessing petsmart has them?
    So what are the chances they will all die? They seemed active when I first got them but now, nothing. I had no idea this would be so difficult.
    Thanks for your help.

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

If you didn't give them bathes, I wonder if there could be mites or something on them? Have you checked for buggies?

5. HatterasCrabs

The only bug I have seen is a gnat looking bug that kinda will flutter around...he was crawling on the crab that is dying. I got him out, the bug that is. But I have been looking closely for mites and things but haven't seen anything.

6. WizKidsMom

Salt water baths when you first get them is to wash away any bugs and to give them a fresh smell.
    I just introduced some new hermies to my tank from an adoption. I gave them all (new and old) a salt water bath, let them walk around in a small tub to get to know each other, then put them in the tank.

It is the every day bath that is a no-no.

7. HatterasCrabs

So should I give them all a bath now, the ones that are up and alive? One of them has been down for a week (not coming up at all) and she came up last night and changed shells but has gone back to her hole. Could she have molted that fast? She seemed happy and healthy but she is the most shy, hiding in her shell at any movement around the tank.

8. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Bathe Just the one that are up. the fastest molt i had was 1 week with a large crab surface molt.

9. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

No, chances are she didn't molt. She's probably destressing, burying down because of all that's happening to her(You know, probably about one month ago she was probably still in the wild! Then she got kidnapped and shipped here to the US to a pet store with bad conditions. And then you bought her and now she's in good conditions again. It's all probably confusing for her, you have to understand.) so I would just let her be and maybe she will molt while destressin.

10. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm sorry about your dead crab. :( My advice is to check the humidity guage for accuracy. There is a sticky on how to calibrate your humidity gauge. Humidity too high or low could cause a lot of stress.

11. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'd recommend moving the tank from the dining room table where there's a lot of activity and shadows/noises and put them in a less-used room for a while. If they aren't responding to the foods, try buying a shrimp (with the shell on if you can) and either saute it with some olive oil or steam it and put it in the food bowl. You could also try some boiled potato (boil it in their salt water) or even cooked rice - those are some of the most popular foods in my tank. Honey mixed with some cuttlebone powder and spirulina powder (it's a type of algae superfood) is also a great energy boost for them. Just leave the crabs alone for a while until they destress. The usual destress period is around two months before they're completely acclimated to their new lives.

12. HatterasCrabs

I have lost two now and a third one that just sits out in the open. Two are hiding and won't come out. The one that was down for a week came up last night and went back down....and came out tonight but went back down. And one that has been down for a couple of days.
    I will try the shrimp, rice and potato. Two months is a long time....it is so hard not to pick them up and check on them, but I'm doing better. :) I did have one finally change out of his painted shell....so maybe that one is happy and healthy.
    I will move them to a less active room.

13. WizKidsMom

They also need 12 hours daylight and 12 hours night - give or take a few.

14. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

There going under pps just like wizkids said so no bath for now till eveything cools off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.