1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HermitCrabPatch.com

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Krabs, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

I've been planning on redoing my tank (adding levels and a moss pit) for a while now and decided to put it off because I wanted to wait until I posted on here first. While looking through some posts I just happened to come across the fact the beaked moss is poisonous! I find it EXTREMELY irritating the hermitcrabpatch.com depicts themselves as knowing what they're talking about but sells nothing but beaked moss! Without any kind of disclaimer other than "This all natural (no dyes) beaked moss bedding is great for hermit crabs to hide in."
    I bought this a few months ago and never got around to using it, but if I had put it in when I first bought it they'd probably both be dead now! :mad:

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Oh my gosh!!! How could they sell moss that was poisonous to hermit crab owners??? That's completely suicide!!!

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Beaked moss is one of those unofficially bad mosses, if that makes sense. The moss itself isn't bad (I don't think it is anyway) but it grows on evergreen trees that are bad for crabs. It's pretty much impossible to get beaked moss off of a tree without some of the tree coming with the moss, thus leading us to in general just say beaked moss is bad. Does that make sense?

Hiawatha moss is fine, and Vicki at the Addiction Store (which I actually prefer to the HermitCrabPatch) has it there. I've used it several times from her with no problems.

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I think I will hesitate to get anything from HCP now... since I'm more sure my bugs came from the tree wood order from there...

5. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Wow - that's a lot of exclamation points and question marks you used up there. The committee for punctuation conservation is no doubt going to want to hear about this. ;)

Let us not go overboard on this . . . .

Kinda, sorta but - and I think this is very relevant in this case - the owner of HCP is extremely knowledgeable and reputed to be quite picky in her care of crabs. I doubt she would sell the material if there is a bon fide problem with it. Heck she will not ship except at certain times of the year - out of concern for the crabs. Don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting that she can't make a mistake, but I think it unlikely.

Just because it is maybe possible that someone might have, possibly, left a little bit of bark in the moss and that may be, we think (guess), a problem for the crabs is not a reason to avoid shopping at the HCP. She has some excellent products and her shells are terrific.

People have found odd things in coir bricks - shall no one shop where those are sold?

If you have a concern - perhaps, instead of addressing it here first - someone might take the time to contact Tammy and ask about it. I have emailed her in the past and she gets back to you very quickly. Given her extensive collection of crabs I suspect she will ahve an informed opinion on the matter.

Keith

6. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Any natural product should be assumed to have a possible "bug load" and should be treated accordingly prior to being placed in an animal enclosure.

Keith

7. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

I completely agree, I wouldn't not shop there because of this. Especially since you can get great stuff for a good price usually. She's always been very nice when I've contacted her, too. It just seems kind of risky considering what could happen. And there definitely should be some sort of disclaimer about the possibility.

8. Hermies4Ever

Couldn't you just get some moss from outdoors??? (You know, pull it off of rocks and then put it in with your hermies??? After washing it of course. . .)

9. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

I can't even remember the last time a saw moss outside lol. I'm going to order some from hermitcrabaddictionstore.com as soon as her ladders come back in stock. They're still MIA anyway :eek:

10. Hermies4Ever

Yes, the Hermit Crab Addiction Store is the best choice to buy any supplies for your hermies!!! Vicki sells the best stuff!!!

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Wow, I'm shocked!:eek: The crabbage patch is such a great store!

12. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

can u buy crabs there that will live since of shipping?

13. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

No crab that's shipped can be guaranteed to live through the process. I've seen on several crabbers' blogs where they end up buying crabs and hoping that half of them (1 out of every 2? that's ridiculous!) live through the shipping and the destress after arriving. It's much better to buy them locally where they don't have 24+ hours of being shipped.

I think that the Crabbage patch won't be shipping until summer anyways...besides, I thought you needed a new tank before you get more crabs, CoolDoggy?

14. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I just wanted to know.:)

15. Hermies4Ever

You're right, sorry!!! But it IS unfair. . .:mad::mad::mad:

16. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

If you do not live where the crabs are native - how can you buy them where they do not need to be shipped. After all - that is how they got to the pet store.

As far as HCP and now ELHCs go I think it would be very fair to say that not only are the crabs healthier pre-shipping, but they are then cared for by you and not a pet store (who have a terrible track record of crab care), are shipped in better conditions than the crabs that are sent to the pet stores and less likely to have an issue when they arrive. I would put one of them up against any pet store crab in terms of likelihood of survival. Regardless of the time of year of shipping.

Keith

17. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

What is unfair?

Keith

18. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I believe I read somewhere that Crabby patch will not ship any crab until it has had their first successful molt with them, that fact in itself would make me want to buy from her. She is obviously very knowledgeable about hermit crabs and only wants the best for them and like Kieth says, unless you live near the natural environment of hermit crabs anyone you buy has been shipped at some point in time, probably with MUCH less care than from TCP I am sure! If you don't agree with things she sells or her business practices than that is your business, but don't bad mouth a place until you have all the facts and have spoken directly to the source, that will ruin a small business like that and it isn't fair.

19. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

This sounds familiar to a previous discussion I was in...

20. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think that The Hermit Crab Patch is a good store. They might get their moss might be specially grown in different trees or something. I've found they have quite a good care section and they have good prices on good stuff. I do also agree with Keith that you should boil your wood, shells etc no matter where you get them. I might add, on the bright side at least they're no like THIS store.:mad:
    Fun LIVE Pet Hermit Crab Kit- Everything You Need Included!Fun LIVE Pet Hermit Crab Kit- Everything You Need Included!
    How can you sell a crab in one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.