1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermit losing limbs

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by danalynette, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danalynette

danalynette Hi, I'm New Here!

I moved and had to leave my hermit crabs at parents house. It was a long move and didn't have room in vehicle to take them. I still buy their food and have it sent home and before I left I taught my sister how to care for them. I have had both of my crabs for about 5 or 6 years. Have not had a single problem with them since after I got them. All of a sudden my sister said my female has lost 2 of her legs and said it looks like its hard for her to move around. What should I do to fix her?

About the tank: I have all coco fiber (dirt) in there about 5 to 6 inches deep. Both of them are a decent size. under the 2 water bowls I use pebble rocks so they can't go under and molt so when I change the water it won't disturb them. Also for their bowls I use glad tupperware bowls. I have one with salt water and one with plain water that has been treated to get rid of bad things. I use a little glass dish to feed them. They get all different foods that I order from www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com. I have a bubbler in there to keep humidity right and a heater on the back of the tank. The temp right now is 88 degrees and the humidity is 78%. They have a log that is plastic to hide in and a kids plastic sand castle that I cut a doorway in and they also have extra shells a climbing stick a ladder and fake plants to hide in. For them to get calcium i put a small sand dollar in there and also sprinkle calcium on food.

Please help me fix my crab. Not sure what to do. :crybaby2:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sorry to hear that danalynette.
    The first thing to do is to gradually get the temperature down. Temps usually range from 75*-82*, with 82* usually used for the Straws (Strawberry Hermit).

Check to make sure there aren't any mites or bugs that have gotten into the tank or mildew, etc. that may be in the substrate.
    Try giving her protein and calcium rich food such as peanut butter, honey, cuttle bone, crushed egg shells, egg, unseasoned shrimp (especially the part with the tail shell attached).

Make sure she can't be attacked by the others and if she is, move her to ISO (isolation).
    Keep the foods changed every day and the waters fresh.

Hopefully she'll be ok and keep us posted on her progress. :hug2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.