1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermit Glub...Poison For Humans But Not Hermit Crabs?

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Guest, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Let me just say i will not feed my Hermit Crabs anything that i could not eat/drink without croaking myself.

Just something to Ponder...

I found it funny when I was reading the water they make especially for hermit crabs called "Hermit Gulp." What I saw was a note on the bottle that read "Not For Human Consumption" I guess I do not have to say what I was thinking after I read that. Anyone have a good reason, why?

Cappa

edited to add "Hermit Glub..." to the title

2. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

Very interesting. What did it have in it?

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Eric,

It did not say what was in it. I wish I could find out. Something in it or about it is not approved for human consumption.

Cappa [​IMG]

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] I hope it's not bad for them I buy it quit often. I also read on LHC someone said that it looked kinda thick "nope" just like any other water thin and clear.

If you find out what is in it please let me know [​IMG]

5. SuperMom

OK I couldn't find the ingredients for Hermit gulp. But because I have bought this before I was concerned and I will atleast find a number to call. I also decide to check out Tap Water Conditioner. There again no ingredients but a 1-800 number so I called. They will not give the ingredients but did say that it is Not For Human Consumption (consentrated or diluted). So is that to say it's not hermi safe?

6. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I haven't seen it yet, I think here we'll just stick to good old spring water [​IMG]

7. Eric

I thought about it, I agree with a fellow LHC member. The Hermit Gulp is probably just not tested for human consumption as there are different standards for Human And Animal foods and beverages. Personally I would not buy more then one. I would keep one as a display that is because it looks cool, Lol. I figure I can get better tested, human Spring/Filtered water for less money. I cannot understand where they get off charging so much for such a small amount of water. It must be because they are the only ones marketing the product at this time. We also are paying for the fancy label. Ha. What do you, guys think? Good work Tricia.

Cappa

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I think good old tap water treated with Repti-Safe is what I will stick with. Natural spring water is also a great choice, but not as convenient or as cost effective. [​IMG]

9. Eric

Wendy,

I heard that even if you use Repti-Safe or products like this, to get 100% of the chlorine out you must let the tap water sit a minimum of 24 hours as well as the chemicals. Do you know this to be true? This is why I always use Distilled & or Spring water for both bathing and drinking. Do you Pre Make your Repti-Safe water in gallons days in advance? I am curious how true this chlorine scenario is or not.

Cappa [​IMG]

10. SuperMom

I have heard the same thing. So I started using nothing but Distilled & or Spring water for both bathing and drinking also.

My sister had jumbo crabs about 10 yrs ago, and she used tap water for baths and drinking. She had them for almost 4 yrs and then when her and her livin boyfriend (at the time) slit up he took the 5 hermies. Back then it wasn't as easy to educate yourself. She must have done something right though they bought all 5 at the same time and in the 4 yrs she crabbed none died.

11. kuplakrabs

Yes Cappa, I let my water sit over night with the top off after I prepare it. Just to be safe. I have also heard the myth that letting it sit for 24 hours will make the chlorine dissipate into the air without doing anything else to it...this is not true. You would need to be constantly aerating the water-which is pretty impracticle for most people.

I am planning on doing a bit of research on this subject, but have not had a chance to really delve into it yet. I have heard from a VERY good and reputable source that Repti-Safe is a perfectly safe and acceptable way to remove the chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals from the water.

12. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

Distilled water is not good for the hermit crabs general health in the long run. In the distillation process, the beneficial minerals are removed. I would recommend spring water for your hermit crabs.
    From what I remember when I saw the product two months ago, I believe hermit gulp is distilled water.

Any product that is not rigorously tested by the fda for human consumption will automatically be listed as NOT for human consumption. It doesnt mean its poisonous. But, human grade food has to pass all other kinds of tests, including preparation in regulated warehouses, etc Really, so many animal products that you theoretically COULD eat safely, will not be rated as such because theyre not meeting the proper preperation standards, or the ingredients are not regulated.

If you think about it, the US and England have very strict regulations. For example, if you go to a foreign grocery and buy candy made in, hypothetically, Thailand, believe me when I tell you this would never pass quality control in the USA. However, people consume it all the time and are fine.

13. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

This is a little off topic, but concerning water.
    My sister has had the same hermit crab for at least 18 years now.
    He lives in a glass tank,(with a hood, no saran either) no guages, just sand that she brings back from the beach, some plants (live), and whatever she eats the crab eats.
    She uses the water from the tap, which is city water, does not treat the water with anything, but she does let it sit in gallon jugs before she uses it on the crab and fish tanks.
    I asked her yesterday about the water, she lets it sit at least 2 weeks before use!!
    She also spritzes the tank am and pm.
    What ever she is doing, this crab is thriving. [​IMG]

14. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

18 yrs?!?!? are you certain??

15. Eric

18 Years would be a second place record? At least that I heard of. WRITE BACK.

Cappa

[​IMG]

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I think distilled water if fine for the crabs because the beneficial minerals that are removed may be obtained from the wide variety of foods they eat.

17. kuplakrabs

Hey Sharon,
    Can you get any pictures of your sister's crab? I'd love to see pics [​IMG] 18 years is a super long time.

I'm not sure how your reply to this post escaped me the first time around LOL!

18. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

sorry guys
    I just came back here.
    I will ask my sister if we can get a pic.
    There is a small problem, cannot get inot a lot of personal details, but I no longer go to her house and I wish she would leave and come to live with me, her, my niece and all the critters.
    She is not in the best of health after recovering from ovarian cancer at this time.(am praying she will stay well).
    Beleive it or not, the crab is not very large, only about a medium size, or the last time I saw him/her anyway??
    She just keeps him in a small aquarium with a hood/florescent light, live plants, brings back sand from the beach every summer, feds everything and anything, mists the tank several times a day. She swears it is the beach sand!
    Like I said, she just fills up clean milk jugs, lets the water sit for couple weeks before she uses it.
    I told her about this site, but she is not well enough to keep up with the computer at this time.
    Someone just gave her 2 hermies they no longer wanted, she said she does not want to put them in with "Hermie" the old crab, afraid of killing him somehow. I said I would take them.
    Oh and poor Hermie lvies alone, every tiem she got him a roomie, the roomie always died first.
    p.s. she had a goldfish I won at a carnival when I was a teenager for 21 years too. Poor guy was getting a gray face and his fins got all bent before he died! R.I.P. Goldie!

19. kuplakrabs

Sharon, so sorry to hear your sister is in poor health. I will keep her in my prayers. It seems she must have some special gift for keeping these unlikely candidates alive [​IMG] It is nice to know that the "old guy" is still going even if you aren't able to get a picture of him [​IMG]

20. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I forgot all about "Shelby" the box turtle my Dad saved off the road. She has had Shelby for about 15 years now!! But the lizard did die recently, she loves her critters, runs in the family.
    Thank you for the prayers Wendy, she really needs them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.