1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermit Crab Personalities!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by imported_CrabHappy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. imported_CrabHappy

imported_CrabHappy "Never Molted"

I stumbled upon a site looking for more in depth information about hermit crab behavior and personalities, and it mentioned that usually the bigger Hermies are somewhat gentle giants.

And so I behold..
    DISCUSS! :)

Are your smaller crabs the trouble makers? The big guys gentle giants? Or is it your larger crab babies who put their money where there..err, claw is? OR, do you have a mix of both! Share any funny hermit crab stories you have, too! :)

:party:

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

All of mine are mean but I dont handle them unless I have to.

3. Arawn

Arawn Hi, I'm New Here!

Ron (my medium) is incredibly sweet.  He's really gentle when being handled or moved.  A couple of my smalls are trouble makers (Fred and George) and they're the ones that will tear up the tank the quickest.  They don't mind being handled, though.

My two smallest crabs are hellions, though.  If I have to move them for any reason, whether it's so I can clean the water or so I can get them fresh food, they will wave their big pinchers all around.  They're also the one that will try and pinch if you gave them the chance.

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I think it's kinda funny you bring this up cuz I talk about my crabs personalities to my friends girlfriend alllll the time XD

All my crabs are sweathearts. They love to sleep together huddled up on their grapevine with Aphrodite on the left, Apollo in the middle, and Hermes on the right. All my crabs are incredibly friendly.

I'll go biggest to smallest so...

Apollo is my largest crab (he wears a 1.5" and when on my hand...he covers almost the whole thing lol), he's really timid and afraid of my shadow and his own  :chuckle:
    He's only ever pinched once, and it was my sister who thought it'd be cool to hold him while I was out of town (she originally picked Apollo but all the crabs like me better  :devil2:). The only time he isn't sweet is when he is eating ravenously at corn puff balls. He reallllly likes those so the other crabs leave him alone and don't touch his puffs. He also hides in his shell a lot at noises and shadows or if anything moves too quickly. Then he'll slowly come out of his shell surveying the situation. Frankly, it's cute XD.He also likes solitude walks around the tank late at night and early in the morning. I'd say he's a lone crab but he likes his companions.

Hermes is my baby. He's really active, friendly, loves to climb and run all over me and my hair  :happy4: All my friends even dig Herms, he's really curious and courageous and incredibly sweet. Every once in awhile if he's in a pickle in his tank, I'll come by and help and he'll hold my finger for dear life till he can calm down. Him and I have been together for almost a year now so we've got some awesome and kinda scary history. When he does get scared, he'll run backwards, stumble and trip, rolling around in his shell for a moment. It's really funny.

Lastly is Aphrodite...Aphrodite is a boy just like the other two I think I should mention lol. I didn't know till around June. Aphrodite is very similar to Apollo. I got them about 10 months ago together (when my boyfriends crab Artemis died from PPS). Aphrodite is shy and active, if anything seems like a potential threat, he'll run around looking for a hiding spot. And if he got scared in the middle of doing something, he won't return to it for hours. He's very skittish so holding him is near impossible since he'll turn into a ball and roll off your hand. He's kinda clumsy too. He likes to climb trees in the tank but he falls into the salt water. Aphrodite prefers to be alone till it's time for bed. He likes to get stuff done quickly and likes to be a scaredy adventurer.

I love all my crabs xD they're my babies  :huggies: I'm getting a couple more to join them that aren't PPs so I hope they'll be just as stunning and friendly as my current.

5. imported_CrabHappy

I've heard that mediums, for whatever reason, are absolute sweethearts. :) Is there any way to tell which ones have that disposition when you buy them? I'm not picking up my crab babies until around Jan (waiting for the weather to warm up a little more) and I think I may spend awhile in the Petsmart looking for just the right one.. :)

6. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

For me when I pick the crabs, I go later at night before closing and have someone open the cage for me. I hold them and scope them out first to see how timid they are and to check for other stuffs.

For Hermes, I just picked him because he was romping around the tank and looked active. Plus he was cute and hard to resist  :wub:

Aphrodite I held and he kept rolling around hiding in his shell. I figured he'd come out of it eventually and he's just a little more outgoing than when I first got him.

I scope around too looking for the right one and when I find them, I wanna get them (I have to bring my boyfriend for purchase control).

If you pick crabs that seem to hide a lot like I did with Artemis, they may not come out of it so try and find active ones in the Petsmart tanks. Hermes was happy as a clam when I bought him and he didn't even do the usual bury and de-stress that other crabs do so I was lucky with him. If you knew what he's been through in the time I've had him you'd be surprised he's still alive and well too.

If you're going to do the hold method, just hold your hand flat and curl your fingers up a little and don't move or they'll roll off your hand ><

For me, I didn't hold Apollo because his claw was big and intimidating but now I hold him when he'll let me then give him his favorite snack to show him I just wanna be friends  :yes2:

Their personalities can change after you get them but for me they just hid and slowly came out of their shells and crawled around. No pinchypinchy and I was happy. Apparently when the mediums do pinch they leave huge bruises according to my sister lol

7. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

my biggest "Goliath is the most skittish crab i have but he is also the newest. out of my mediums only Sebastian is almost un afraid of me whilst i rummage and organize the tank.

8. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

crabby paddy is my bully, he will shred a new molter or a newbie that comes into the tank until they have a bath and for good measure he gets it to, he is my biggest crab, he is stocky and beefier lol! and the one I have had the longest, not scared of anything
    shell lea has really long slender legs, she just hangs out where ever, like yep this is the place to be.
    pebbles at least I think it's pebbles, pretty sure bam bam is the one who died, and pebbles was shy, if you had to pick her up and put her down she'd flip on her back. both of these are ping pong ball size. Mine do let me know when something isn't right in the tank, they will become less active and then then i will notice them not moving from thier spots and not eating. I don't handle mine unless I have to, the tank has been in the same spot since2009, I think that it really helps with them knowing being there that long , that they are safe . it's the same movements day after day

9. imported_CrabHappy

Thank you all for the information! I really really appreciate hearing feedback from experienced crabbers, since I myself am still learning (and plan to continue to do so!). :) Sorry for the late replies, studying for midterms & managing my extra curriculars has been brutal lately. Last two midterms tomorrow!  :cheer:

Katz, your crab babies are so fascinating to me! I love studying up on the different behaviors of hermit crabs and yours sound super adorable. I have to say Hermes sounds like a doll. What a sweet crab! I do hope that I'm as lucky. I have to tell you, I absolutely dread that for some mystical hermit crab gods reason, I'll pick out a crab that will have PPS and die, or one that will have a bad-apple personality. Deviousness I can handle, but hopefully I won't get anyone mean who won't want to come out and play every once and awhile.

I definitely think I'm going to try to hit up the store about an hour before they close, so that I can handle the hermit crabs and spend some time to see which ones I like best and think would get along. I currently own a surprisingly spacious (got a little creative with the set-up) 10 gallon tank and I think I'm going to look at getting one medium (about one inch in shell opening) and two smalls. I think of all of them, I'm going to be very careful picking out my biggest crab. I would love a gentle one, although that's not always easy to tell at first, I'm sure. And for the little guys, I'm thinking about naming them hokey and pokey. Matching names always get me.  :chuckle:

Arawn, Ron sounds wonderful. As I was telling Katz, I hope I am just as lucky to find a medium crab that is as incredibly sweet as yours is! For some reason, larger crabs have always intimidated me a little, so I'm still getting used to them, so having a medium with a pleasant, gentle disposition would be super comforting. :)

10. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Hi Crabhappy, my story is: two years ago I went to the beach (6 hour drive) for vacation. I had planned to get one to bring home and I found the sweetest crab in the whole world. He has never pinched me, and he will just sit there waiting when I feed him. I bought him a friend locally (1 died) and I got another about a year ago. I get them both out regularly (when they're up) and talk to them. I have a glass bowl with sand and shells in it I use to put them in to hold them in my lap. His friend has never pinched me either.

Marley, the oldest, loves pecans. The other day I say something I've never seen before. I had them in my lap in the aforementioned bowl and gave Marley a piece of pecan. To keep the other crab from getting it, he tucked it up under the bottom of his shell and carried it around. It was so funny.

I hope you find crabs with great personalities, but for me, I get mine out and talk to them and kinda peck on the side of the bowl with my fingernails.

Even when I go by the aquarium they're in I usually stop, call their names and say hello.

Good luck, Debbie

11. imported_CrabHappy

Debbie,
    Your story is so great! You're so brave for bringing a hermie home over a 6 hour drive. I would be too nervous to even try! I definitely love your methods of playing with your crabs and getting to know them. I think that's gonna be the key with mine, too.
    Marley, the little hoarder. :D I love it! That's insane, but I wish I had a shell so I could keep my food away from my friends, haha!
    Thanks Debbie! Best wishes with your crabs!

12. Arawn

Arawn Hi, I'm New Here!

I was nervous and planned sticking to smaller crabs, but then I saw Ron.  I held him and he came out and just stared at me and I fell in love. xD This crab wouldn't hurt a fly either. 

13. imported_CrabHappy

How cute! He sounds like a dream! :D Less than two months til I get mine!  :woohoo: