1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermit Crab Happy

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by pineapplemama, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Has anyone been to this site?

http://www.hermhtcrabhappy.moonfruit.com/

Did you know that there is actually a Hermit Crab Task Force that is trying to keep our little friends from ill treatment and over harvesting? Well, evidently there is...

Also, she has this neat children's educational game. I may get one for my son.

I'm going to start studying for the C.T.F. Certification Test. That way maybe when I tell Petco/PetSmart/Petland that they don't have an ideal Crabitat they might listen??

T.T.F.N.

[​IMG]

2. pineapplemama

Evidently Straws are being harvested too much, they don't breed in cap. so the species is starting to get low...now I feel bad for buying Red.

3. hermitcrabs=cute

hermitcrabs=cute Hi, I'm New Here!

hey,don't feel bad.....

it's not like you bought 20 or even 50 of them [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Actually no species of land hermit crab has been bred in captivity. And I doubt that Strawberries are the only species being overharvested. But what drives the market is the attitude that hermit crabs are cheap, throw-away pets. If they were sold for serious hobbists, with their care requirements stated up front, there'd be nowhere near as much demand for them. Which would make the price go up. Which would make hobbist, stores and distributors all more interested in keeping the product alive. [​IMG]

I think this is what happened with iguanas in the past 10 to 15 years. They used to be heavily imported, cheap and freely available. But as the difficulty of caring for an iguana became more widely known, and there were crackdowns on importing them. Both interest and availability went down. The price went up, but I think the quality of the iguanas that are available is much higher.

5. pineapplemama

Good Point. Well, I emailed her to find out if by being a crabber I was directly or indirectly responsible for the harvesting/selling of crabs. You can't be in the task force if you are part of that, she hasn't emailed me back yet?

????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.