1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermit Crab Aggression

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crabbymccrabcrab, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabbymccrabcrab

crabbymccrabcrab Hi, I'm New Here!

I am doing a study on what incites aggression among hermit crabs and to see what makes a hermit dominate to another. Any ideas to what incites aggression among hermit crabs to at least scare away the other hermit crab to prove dominance. No hermit crabs will be hurt during this experiment.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

A lot of times, it's a chronic lack of protein in their diets. Any time I've had a shell fight, or someone on a forum has an aggression problem, it is solved by giving them more meat in their daily diet. Cutting up meat/other foods into smaller pieces so that, if someone wants to take it to another spot in the tank, the rest of the crabs can still get some of that particular item helps as well.

Sometimes it will be over a shell and there's no way to end it except to try to offer similar shells to the one that's sought by others.

I have definitely witnessed the dominance structure in my tank on at least one occasion. One of my Ecuadorian crabs, Nibs, was eating a fresh shrimp. She was on the 'head' end of the shrimp, and a smaller crabs, Slightly, approached from the tail end of the shrimp. He started eating the tail, but only got a bite or two before Nibs dropped the shrimp, turned to him, and just stared, antennae waving. Slightly stopped, froze, then backed away, watching until she had her fill of shrimp and left. As soon as she was done, he was back in there, eating.

3. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

LOL I have a great video for your study, My bigger crab Spongebob letting Mr. Krabs know that he can't just pick any shell he wants in the tank without talking to him FIRST!
    YouTube - Hermit Crab Smackdown!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.