1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hermit crab acting really strange???

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Solley, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

ok so one of my tiny E hermit crabs has been acting really strange lately.  for the past couple of days he has compleltly submerged himself in the saltwater dish for a good 20 - 30 minutes at a time without coming back up, sometimes longer than that.  After his dip, he come back up with his legs still in the salt water rests for a while, then goes back underwater for another 30 minutes or so.  it is so weird because i didnt think hermit crabs could stay underwater that long????

anyways im thinking he may be collecting water for a molt but i just found this activity really weird and thought i would ask you all.  humidity in the tank is around 80% give or take a couple percent.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

There are air pockets in its shell for it to breath and E's need more salt water than p.p.'s. It is probably getting ready to molt I'm sure . Little crabs molt a number of times a year. As far as the time it spends submerged I don't know. Is it getting out of the salt water to eat or whatever? Still walking around? If it is I would'nt worry about it. I have seen mine submerged in the water before but dont really pay attention to how long. Is the crab able to get out of the water?

3. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

thanks for the reply, yes he is able to get out and all, and he does still move around, however not as much as usual.  I thought he was probably preparing for a molt as well, just never have seen a land hermit stay under water so long lol