1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermies not Hungry!

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Enj, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

Hey guys, i am worried about my hermies. They don't seem to eat anything! Food always seems to be undisturbed, and although they only eat a small amount each day, i have only seen a few of them eat a few times. I don't know what i am doing wrong, i am following the hermie safe list. It's getting to the stage that if the dry food it still ok (not gone yuck) i end up leaving it in there for a few days as it's just a waste.

I am alternating feeding things like - dried bloodworms, goldfish flakes, coconut, strawberries, mango, fish, chicken, safe flowers, oats, bee pollen, home made hermie food (from pet shop, i checked it's all homemade and a mix of dried fruit, coconut, fish flakes and oats)

THe pet shop food seems to be the only thing they are eating. And i am worried as they are always seem to be buried, so i am concerened about their nutrition and energy levels. Only one has a gorgeous dark colouring, all the rest are very pale and a few have stripes (they are Australian Land Hermit Crabs).

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs will only eat if the food has the nutrition they need at that time. So, if they need protein but you're only offering a fruit that night, they won't touch it. Try offering a fruit, veggie, meat/egg, flower, nuts/grains, "treat" (bee pollen, worm castings, that sort of thing), and calcium nightly and see if they go for it. Have you checked the ingredients list on the goldfish flakes, by the way? Not all of them are hermie-safe.

3. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

oooh yikes...... ok i will try and offer a bi of everything. I have frozen veggies and prawns for them which defrost in the tank. They also have a calcium block and cuttle fish for calcium

I will give it a go though, thanks!

PS can they eat pansies, and all types of roses?

4. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

http://www.epicurean-hermit.com/index.php

Here Enj,

Julia seems to have the most complete list of food items I have found so far. Pretty complete list of things they like and many others they don`t like and/or are toxic.

I go there whenever I have questions.

Tim

5. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

My hermies are still not eating anything ..... :(

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Have you filled out the help template under the 911 topic?

7. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

if you aren't looking at them 24/7 then they might just be coming out when you are in bed.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Also hermit crabs eat very little at a time. If the food is messed up then they are probably eating.

9. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

Yeah the food isn't messed up really, i did noticed that one of the dandelions had been draged across the food bowl but i have seen them walk across the food bowl before without eating.

Do you reckon i should get some CCTV surveillance in there??? :)

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Haha, that'd be hilarious. :) Try waking up in the middle of the night and checking on them - you may just find somebody eating. Food dragged all around is a good sign - I didn't think my crabs were eating the dried earthworms I got at the Addiction store, but when I was doing the deep clean I found a few pieces of earthworm in the topmost upper level, so I guess somebody likes them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.