1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hermie hanging out of his shell

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by crackity, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crackity

crackity "Never Molted"

Howdy y'all,

I've spent quite a bit of time looking for an answer to my question before inadvertently duplicating previous threads, but haven't found one that matches exactly what I'm seeing.

I noticed one of my crabbies almost all the way out of his shell. He was on the side of the tank where there are not any spare shells for him/her to change into so I don't believe it was in the process of doing that.

Also even though I could see its... hidden legs that are normally well inside the shell, it wasn't quite all the way out. I noticed this pulsating on the side of his abdomen... not sure what that is... breathing maybe??? :)

The difference here from the many other posts that I did find is that my crabbie is not lethargic or sluggish at all. I got in really close to the tank to get a good look at it and when it saw me it tucked right back into its shell and scurried for cover. I just checked it again and it's hiding in the tree trunk hollow and its antennae are flitting about wildly.

The temp/humidity are both right around 80 +/- 1-2 degrees. Water clean, food just changed. There is some condesate on the inside, but not excessive.

I guess I'm just confused.

Anyone seen this type of behavior before? Should I be concerned? If it weren't so quick and alert I would be concerned, but I'm not seeing that at all.

2. drk_paramour

drk_paramour "Never Molted"

hmmm, well i'm not sure about the pulsating of the abdomen, but i've seen one of my hermies doing this, and i think she was scooping poop out or something lol, but she doesn't do this all the time it's just something i've noticed here and there. Does your hermit do this all the time or every once in awhile?

3. crackity

crackity "Never Molted"

First and only time I've ever seen it.

4. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Could be cleaning out the shell, or it maybe too humid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.