1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's one to think about

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by crabbycrazy2, Sep 7, 2007.

1. crabbycrazy2

crabbycrazy2 "Second Molt, A Success"

I've been wondering,  are crabs colorblind, or can they see in color?  :rainbow:   

Hey,  I'm a mother of 3 boys,  what do ya expect?    :hahahaha:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I never understood how ANYONE can determine what an animal sees--it just doesnt make sense- I think they make up stuff  :biglaugh: - they already have a theory for them- I forget what it is.

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I read somewhere they see the way a bee or a housefly sees. They have compound eyes just like an insect; not sure if it in color or b/w.

4. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

Interesting!! I've also read that some insects can see Ultraviolet light, and this is what attracts them to certain flowers - invisible colors and patterns that we can't detect. Maybe crabs too?

5. You can tell what something can see by the specral sensitivity of the cells in their eyes.

If they are like other crustaceans, they probably see around the low 500nm wavelength (green) and the mide 300nm wavelength (UV). The UV would let them see day/night variation and shadow. The green probably alerts them to food and shelter.

Also, since terrestrial crabs developed marine crabs, and red light is filtered by the ocean below a few dozen meters, it makes sense that they would only see in green, and not in red.