1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Oh, I guess I should clarify ... I'm only looking in pet stores for hermit crabs. Tallahassee is well above the frost line, so land hermit crabs couldn't survive there through the winter. The only part of Florida where you'd expect to find wild land hermit crabs is extremely far south, like Key West. And only Purple Pinchers are found in Florida, I'm pretty sure. Though other species could probably survive there ... I wonder if there have been pet crabs released into the wild that are surviving there already, as is the case with many reptiles. Marauding bands of iguanas has actually become a problem in Miami in recent years, I have heard.

If I find crabs to bring home, I'm going to get a KK and fill it with substrate. I'll pack some dishes, food and Oceanic salt so that I don't need to buy those. Moss is a good idea for substrate, if I can find a store in Tallahassee that carries it. I think there's one reptile store -- I bet they would have it. I'm not going to try and pack it. I have no idea whether bubble wrap would help with pressurization/depressurizaion, but I imagine it could only help if you could get an airtight seal.

I agree that the main obstacle to your collecting crabs in Panama will be red tape, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It would be awful if everyone could easily collect a few crabs from the beach, whether they knew how to care for them or not. It already happens far too often with marine crabs that people pick up off the beach on vacations in the US. Inevitably they can't keep them alive, and many don't understand the difference between them and land hermit crabs to begin with.

Given the lack of regulation there seems to be for distributers, I imagine you'll be able to find a way to legally bring home a few crabs from Panama. I would rather see more regulation of this -- it would be better for the crabs, that's for sure.

2. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

"Given the lack of regulation for distributors" - how do you justify that statement? Are you familiar with regulations on distributors of life hermies?
    Personally, I have never even given over a hermie, let alone shipped one, and I take offense to your allegation that I may be a distributor, or even seeking to become one, and that I could probably bring some home under slack laws for distributors. Any hermit crabs that could come home with me would be for my own personal colony.
    Why is it you always find the negative in everything I say?

3. moire_eel

All I meant is that because there are apparently no limits on what distributors are able to collect, there probably won't be many hoops to jump through for you either. That's all I meant. I imagine that at least in part, that is what is motivating you to want to collect your own crabs in the first place. If distributors took good care of the crabs they collect, it's much more likely that you'd be able to go to a pet store and pick out healthy, well-cared for crabs there.

I personally would trade opportunites for myself to collect hermit crabs from the wild for regulations for distributors any day. I guess I made an assumption that this would be implicit -- the desire for regulation of distributors is an oft-discussed on hermit crab forums. But you and I have not discussed it, so I should not have assumed. My apologies!

4. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

I guess I should mention: as you pointed out in your posting, you would prefer to patronize unregulated distributors than search for your own hermies? How interesting.

5. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Suggest you take this to personal mail rather than abusing the site. [​IMG]

6. moire_eel

No, I'm saying I would rather patronize regulated distributors. I would be happy for laws that kept me from collecting hermit crabs if it kept distributors from doing so irresponsibly. I would like to see there be more concern for the welfare of hermit crabs as a species. I DO NOT think that you collecting a few crabs for yourself is going to pose a threat for the species, but realistically I don't think everyone should be able to do it -- then we have the senario like when people pick up marine crabs off the beach with no idea how to care for them. I would imagine that there's a good chance that given that you know how to care for them, you'd see an impressive survival rate. In fact, that in itself is a worthy experiment -- to find out just how much better things could be in an ideal collection scenario: where crabs go straight from the wild into a poperly-maintined captive enviroment. If you are able to acheive your goal, I think many people will be extremely interested to know how it goes, me included.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

I think we can all agree that collecting Hermies from the wild would not be a good thing, and while everyone has a different stance on the hobby of keeping Hermit Crabs. We all have our personal feeling which we all feel very strongly about. Which is good, and there is nothing better then an open discussion. Thanks you for expressing your views openly and with passion on the forum, but this thread is about identifying your crabs, and I think that we are a little off topic. Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.