1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by HCRUlover95, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HCRUlover95

HCRUlover95 Hi, I'm New Here!

My lil guy doesnt want to molt but he is like the size of a silver $ but smaller and he is like 9 months old [​IMG]

2. crabbydude

crabbydude Hi, I'm New Here!

All I have to say is, don't worry about it. I have had crabs for 14 months and not molt, they do it on there time, not ours. Just be patient!

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

It may not be his time yet, but also, it's worth confirming that your tank conditions are right for molting.

* Do you have a substrate (sand or coconut fiber) that is at least twice as deep as your crab is tall?)

* Is your tank's relative humidity between 70 percent and the low 80s?

* Is your tank temperature between 72 and 80 degrees F?

* Has your crab had a balanced diet that includes protein and calcium sources? Does he have both dechlorinated fresh and sea water available?

Those are some things to consider to start with. Hope that helps!

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Having the "right" conditions will definitely help him along in his decision to molt. In addition to the ones mentioned by moire, you may also want to keep the tank in a quiet area of the house. Make sure you have plenty of hiding areas that are dark. Light actually inhibits (slows down) the release of the molting hormone. You may also consider putting him into an isolation unit. According to what I have read in Biology of the Land Crabs, some crabs will have a difficult time molting if they feel too vulnerable with the other crabs around.

Sometimes a substrate change will encourage molting too. Try changing to moist coconut fiber bedding if you use sand and vice versa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.