1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Hermie's rule, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

The problem is posted at the bottom of the cage
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question? four months

Do you know what species they are? PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? No

Tank Size: 5.5 gal.

Lid Type: screen

Placement of tank in your home: in an interior bedroom

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): rocks and EE moist

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? Yes

Placement of Gauges: back of tank

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees-65 at night - 90 in the day. %75

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): UTH and lighting

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): common house bulb - 75watts

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? Yes

Is there any metal in your tank? No

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? cocco hut, logs, plants

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?dech. water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? Yes Instant Ocean

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? Both

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? 2

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? No

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? No

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? When I remember too

How often do you handle them? occasionally

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? Not that I know of

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? Sometimes

What types of foods do you feed? fresh food

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    </span>

If you can't answer all of them, answer as many quetions as truthfully as you can so we can get started! [​IMG] __________________

This is the problem: I deepcleaned my tank recently and one of my hermies which just molted lost a BP and a leg! I gotta have help.

2. Hermie's rule

HelP! please....

3. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

the house bulb could be making it too hot, but other than that i don't know, could one of your other crabbs fought with it? could it just be stressed? when did you get him? if you just got him and moved the tank around, he is probably really stressed. sorry i just don't know.

4. Hermie's rule

The temp stays right where it should be and isn't too hot. The simple fact is I deepcleaned my tank. I took the crabs out of the cage and put them in a playpen for several hours. I thought they liked it?

5. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hermies Rule, don't be defensive. You want help. Your day temperature is too high. Try to bring it down to between 70 - 80. Your night temperature is too cool. Bring it up to at least 70. The problem with Hermies was stress, but you've stated that you've had problems with other crabs too. We are all in the process of learning. Appreciate anyone who tries to help you.

6. Hermie's rule

Well, sorry. Actually the daytime temp. stays at 75 F. Nighttime temps are60F.

7. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

night time is too cold still, make sure it stays at a range between 70-80. mine stays at 70 at the least, i like it that way in my house so it never below 71.

8. Hermie's rule

My dad lowers the thermostat every night which helps the temp to drop. Also I can't run the light all nightas that would mess up his sleep. So-It think it was stress that killed my hermie.

9. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

i agree 60F at night is way to low. I have PP's and E's and i keep my night time temp between 75 and 80F and the humidity the same. Your hermies are getting to cold at night.

10. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

One of my hermies lost both of his large and small claw, but it was due to a fight, the only reason I know if that I was lucky enought to catch the end of it, or else I would have been wondering what was wrong. I put him in iso as soon as I could, he then molted within days of the fight, and ended up with a small pinch but no large one, but he is back in the main tank and seems to be doing fine. Hope everything turns out alright for you. :)

11. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I would get an incandescent hood (not florescent) and a 15 watt moonglow bulb and leave that on at all times to keep your temps level. For a tank your size they usually sell the hood & lamp as one piece for under $10. The black light won't bother your crabs & it makes it nice for you to watch them at night too! And the plexiglass hood that they come with as (opposed to the wire top you're using) will make it easier to keep in the humidity. They will regenerate their BP if they have the right conditions and do not get futher stressed. Just make sure your temps & humidity stay consistantly in the 70-80 range, and make sure the EE is moist & deep enough for him to bury in. And in the future, put off your deep cleanings if you have a burried crab.
    Temp & humidity will stay consistant with very little help once you have the proper set up. (Full hood with low wattage moon glow bulb & deep, moist EE). Good luck!

12. Hermie's rule

I'll try it. What I do to keep in humidity is I put a blanket on top ot the cage.

13. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Well good luck. A blanket or moist towel will do the trick if you can't get an enclosed top.. Spraying the tank with declorinated water also helps. Also remember that when the temp goes up, it will dry up the humidity to a certain extent. Did you say you use a UTH too? You probably don't need that in a tank your size. Just a low watt black bulb will be fine. It's just so much less work once you get that full hood with the little light bulb that it is worth the investment. Sorry to hear your little guy didn't make it :(

14. Hermie's rule

I do use a UTH and it helps keep the nighttime temps stable.

15. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

taking the crabs out for more then 15 minutes can dry out there gills aswell as cause them to either suffocate and get stressed out and that could account for why they are losing limbs. Or maybe its something youve recently put in the tank, crabs can also get stressed out when there tank is changed up or there moved around.

16. Hermie's rule

Well, when I cleaned the tank they were out for almost 2 hours!

17. Itsy

thats really not good for them i only have a 2 gallon iso but when i clean out my tank i put them in there even if its a bit crowded for time i do it atleast i know there able to breath.

18. Hermie's rule

Well my crab did die and I do use a blanket to keep in humidity. - My mom made me do so even when she didn't know a thing about crab care. She's so smart.

19. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Do you have uth's on your tank? They really help to keep the tank warm. The whole tank does not have to be 75 at night. Just one area that the crabs can hunker down in if they get cold.

20. Itsy

Im very sorry you lost your crab remeber just try not to leave them out in the low humidity of outside the tank for more then 15 minutes if you have to use a large container with a little bit of sand in the bottem mist in genorously then put the crabs in there with the lid on but with a good crack to breath it will help keep up the humidity so that they can breath.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.