1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Mini.Mrs.Crabs, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi guys! Today I changed up my whole crab tank...new decoration, new cholla wood, new sand, etc. But as I was changing everything up I found 2 unhealthy crabs out of my 21 crabs...One was completely crippled...missing his big pincher, a leg, and is really sluggish and weak. Another one is also sluggish-looking and weak with one bent leg.

After I was done with the tank and put the rest of the hermit crabs back in, one freshly molted pink crab was being bullied by a big crab. the big crab went and sat on the little crab, and then the little crab tried to move away from under the big crab and just came out of his shell! I took the shell away from the bigger crab that now had it and put it close to the baby crab who eventually, after much effort, got back into the shell, his leg falling off in the process probably because of the stress...

I put all 3 of them in a spearate crab cage (those little ones you can get at those vacation spots that say "my hermit crab hotel" on them), to isolate them so no other crab hurst them with some mushy egg and coconut and water (fresh&salt).

Did I do the right thing by isolating them all together?? anything else I should do to help them????

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

the guy that got practically pulled out of his shell and that got back in has sand all over his "butt" too, which isn't good because now it's all dry... should I put him in the water to help get the sand out, or will that stress him out even more???

3. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I'm not sure what a 'my hermie hotel' is. Your isolation/hospital tank should be made of glass like a 10 gallon aquarium with proper humidity and temperature. Gauges will help you monitor both humidity and temp. That way you won't need to worry your crab will dry out or not. Bathing a freshly molted crab will prevent him from hardening up after a molt properly so I do not recommend it.

4. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

I watched one of my crabs change shells the other day, and the shell he went into had a little sand in it. Then I watched him longer and he came out of it a little bit, I could see his "little legs" (closer to his tail) and he was actually getting the sand out by himself. A little later he went back into his original shell. I picked up the shell he came out of, there was no sand, just a little water. He had not just molted, but I thought I'd share this anyway, hope it helps.

Debbie

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

They are fascinating creatures! Thanks for sharing. :flower:

6. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

So they're still isolated, and one out of the 3 is surface molting! I'm happy because now he can probably grow his limbs back. He seems pretty good...he has water beside him and every once in a while he munches on his old exo or on some of the cuttlebone :)

Still waiting for the other 2 to get better or molt!

7. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

POSTING THIS FOR TRIXIE (AND ANYONE ELSE!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.