1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with bad molt

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Dezzi, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Okay,  I  have 4 PP.  Had them for about 4 years now, and I only feed Vckums and  fresh food.  They have both fresh NC and salt water. 
      About 3 weeks ago, I lift up the water dish to find Lee laying there out of his shell, which was beside him.    He had been molting and was still pinkish, but he had started to harden.  One of his legs still had a piece of the molted leg-shell still attached. Also, he was missing 1 leg completely. 

I tried to stay calm, and I misted him & gently put him back in his shell and covered  him with a hut. Then I quickly set  up ISO  for him. When I went to get him- he was out of the  shell  again, so I misted him & while i was  doing that, another half-molted  leg  fell off!  So I put him  back in his  shell and put him in ISO and put  a hut over him. During all of this he is weakly trying to  move. 

I dug around where he was to look for his legs, and found a large deeper tunnel that he must have been molting in because I know he was  not under the dish the whole time.  Anyway, I found his leg, and his outer shells. I gave him some water and his molting parts to eat. Later I check- and he is just  laying out of the shell, this time he just lays there without moving.  I do the same thing & put him back in.  I leave him alone, and later check on him, and he stayed in the shell.  So I leave him alone and only bother him to give him water, cuttlebone & food now because he ate all of his molting shell.

So  I don't know what happened, maybe he was attacked during his molt?  Something I did wrong? When do I put him back with the others?
    He is missing 2 legs now, and he is the biggest of my crabs, needing approx. 2 inch opening on his shell.  This is my 1st bad molt.  I really hope he will pull through this.
    I have  not picked him up again since he has stayed in his shell, and I have just tried to keep it dark and quiet.
    Please any help or advice I would welcome! I love this guy!  Thank you!

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Hi Dezzi,
    Sorry to hear about your crab. I would suggest you stop misting him because he needs to harden up now. Also leave him in his ISO tank with his exo without any interruptions. Make sure to keep temp/humidity stable while he's recovering. You'll know he is ready to join the others in your main tank when he has finished all his exo and is up and about in the ISO tank.

Good luck and keep us posted :fingerscrossed:

3. Dezzi

Thank you, yeah I really love  this guy.  Seeing him like that was heartbreaking.  Oh and I am no longer misting him, I only did that  when he was out  of his  shell.  From what I can see I think he is firm, and he did finish his exo.  But he is not moving around much at all, I see no signs that he has left the hut. 
    It looks like he tried to dig a little in the hut, but not much.  Do you think I should keep him in ISO a while longer so he can gain strength?  And when I put him back in the tank- should I bathe him and the others first?  I would rather avoid that if possible because giving a bath really stressses him out, but I will do it if it's best.  Of my crabs he is the shy one.
    Also, how soon can he molt again?  Any special foods I can give to perk him up and help him? 
    Thanks again for your help:)  I have lost a lot of sleep worring about this, I just don't want to do anything wrong. 

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

it takes time for them recover from a molt, and at any time they can have molt troubles , it can be from tank conditions, an illness that you didn't know about, nutrition issues, ect. misting and trying to put him a shell prob stressed him more, sometimes they are to weak to pack a shell.  about the only thing you can do you is form some type of iso around him or get him in one, keep it quiet and dark with cuttle bone, honey, peanut butter with his waters and hope for the best!

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Please dont put him back in the main tank. Just food and water. Leave him in iso untill he is up and running around the tank. And after that wait a few more days. Let him be for a few days and then only to change food and water. Put .something over the tank to keep him in the dark. It will help relieve his stress. Do not try putting him in its shell anymore. Too weak.

6. Dezzi

Okay maybe I was un-clear about this:  I found him out of his shell about 3 weeks ago, and then I misted him & put him back.  While I was setting up ISO he came out of the shell again & I did the same thing & put him in ISO.  After placing him in ISO he only came out of the shell 1 more time and then he stayed in.  This was all in the same day, and he has been staying in his shell since.  So, I  put him back in the shell 3 times.

So he has been in ISO for a while now, and he finished his exo & ate some cuttlebone.  So I have been giving him regular food now. 
    I am keeping him quiet and only disturbing him to give him food & water. And he has  stayed in his shell.  I did notice that he has come out of his hut so he is moving around more so that's a good sign.  I will do as you said and leave him in longer to gain strength, and keep it dark for him.
    Maybe I should not have misted him & put him back, but I was so worried that he would dry up. Did I do wrong by putting him back in the shell? 
    And  I would be freaking out if I was still doing that, so I can understand the concern:)  Sorry I should have written my 1st post more clearly.
    Thank you all so much for responding, and helping me through this I appreciate the replys and advice, I just don't want to do the wrong thing for him.

Thanks again:) 

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Some crabs will molt out of their shell and then stay out of it for a while during its natural molting ritual.It is very hard for them to move right after they molt. A full day or more without moving.But none of it matters if the crab is strong and healthy enough to make it threw a stressfull experience.Dont bath your crab untill he has fully hardened if at all. Use fresh water not salt water. If there is a tender spot on him after his molt it might burn. Salt on a wound. 'OUCH'. Some of us  have a hands off policy and do not handle our crabs except to clean the tank or if hes in a bad situation. Glad to here that he's doing well. Keep us posted. :spunky: :spunky: :spunky:

8. Dezzi

Okay thanks for telling me that, I didn't know that about the salt  water, it would hurt!  If possible I would like to not give him a bath at all because it scares the crap out of him anyway, and after all he's been through I think it would make it worse.  But then again I don't know how they will react to him after I put him back. 

I haven't given my crabs a bath for about 2 years now, I haven't gotten any new crabs & it freaks them out so much I just decided not to do it anymore unless needed.  Do most of you bathe on the regular? 
    I also didn't know that they will molt out of their shell!  So maybe I should have just left him alone?  I just saw him out & missing a limb & all I could think was: "put him in ISO"  Also where we was I know other crabs could easily get to him.  Either way it's done, but if there is a next time (which I hope not!) maybe I should leave it alone. 

I just have been so stressed about this.  But I feel better now because I smoothed the sand in front of his hut and it was disturbed so I know he's moving around now.  Plus he's eating too:) 
    Thanks again for the help!  Lee thanks you too:) 

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't bathe my crabs other than the initial time when I bring them home.  I've been very fortunate and they take care of their own bathing in the water dish. Keep us posted on his progress.  :flower:

10. Dezzi

Yeah mine hang out in the water dish too, like you said I figure they can get wet if they want or need to. 

Well just today he is moving all around and becoming more active! I am so happy that he is doing better:)  I will leave him in a while longer as suggested until he has his strength back.

I will let you know how he does!  Thank you all again for helping me through this, yall are Great!  :thanks:

11. Dezzi

*Update* on Lee

After he got his strength back while in ISO, I put him back in the tank and left him alone, but I did keep an eye on him.  He ate a lot and drank a lot.
    With the missing limbs he had trouble getting out of the water dish so I added shells both in the dish, and more around it too so he could get out without loosing his balance. 

And one morning I found him hung up on the base of a tree I have, I helped him, and then covered the base with sand and shells so it wouldn't happen again.  I felt so bad for him, so I looked through the tank for any other "problem areas" for him and didn't see any.

After about a week, he went down.  So I thought that was a good thing, I didn't know if he was molting or not, but I knew he needed some de-stress time.

And yesterday- I look in and see Lee sitting in the water dish~!  He molted and is now sporting 2 thinner, and more of an orange color legs.  I am so happy he made it through this!  His new legs are much smaller compared to his others, but they will do just fine.
    Thanks again for everyone's help:)  After a while when he is more settled, I will take some pictures of him. I am proud of my boy. 

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:cheer: CONGRATS  :cheer: