1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!! Please

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by rhino, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhino

rhino Hi, I'm New Here!

I am very new to hermit crabs we have 4. We just purchased them at a store called earthbound very good place to buy them around here. I am working on the aquarium for them so for now I have them in 2 diffrent terriarum boxes with sand and water and toys etc, this is not going to be their permanent home hopefully only until this weekend anyway we got 2 of them about 4 nights ago and one of them had already switched shells yesterday morning but today when I got to looking I cannot find blueberry in the new shell or in any of the other shells I have for them should I go digging for blueberry I do not even see her anywhere or could she be molting? Do the come complety out of the shell when they molt? Please help I am not sure what to do?

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

It is never a good thing when you can not find one, but all shells are accounted for. By chance do you have shells that are a lot bigger? I have heard of crabs using larger shells to molt if they are not able to dig down.

Jason

3. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Well my crab is able to dig down and he chose a very large shell when he wanted to change shells. There were alot smaller ones in the tank.

4. justine

justine "Never Molted"

To Rhino,
    They do not need to come out of their shells to molt. I have never seen a crab do that, although maybe someone else has.
    Generally, when they are completely out of their shell it is a sign of distress.

Temerature and humidity are very important, and if they are not in the right range, a crab may come out of its shell, in an attempt to regulate their body temp or breathe easier. Please get gauges to measure temp and humidity in the tank. You can get a decent digital one at WalMart in the garden section for around $6. The round ones in the reptile section of the pet store are more expensive and not always accurate.

If you check the basic care sheets, you can find the best ranges for temp and humidity.

One more suggestion, I have a crab that I can barely see when he is pulled back in his shell, because he goes so far back in the shell. Could Blueberry be really far back in one of the shells?

If she is not, I think I would go very gently digging for her. If you find her naked and alive, I would try to get her back in a shell. Make sure she has available dechlorinated fresh water and salt water, (NOT table salt) the kind used for aquariums. Offer her some honey for energy. Put her in a cave or quiet corner, and leave her be.

I am sorry if I wrote stuff you already know, I just wanted to make all of the suggestions I could think of.

5. rhino

rhino Hi, I'm New Here!

I found blueberry as the last reply stated she is so far back in the shell I could not see her until she decided to come out and eat. Thank you all so much for your replies. I was really worried about her and probably jumped the gun but I am just happy that she is okay!!!!:) :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.