1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please!! Naked Hermie...very worried!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Shiloh, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh

Shiloh Hi, I'm New Here!

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? About 5 months

Do you know what species they are? Red one

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? I got them at the same time ...so no

Tank Size: 20 gall

Lid Type: metal screen

Placement of tank in your home: On hearth in the living room

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): 1/2 calcisand 1?2 coco peat?

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital temp and humidity

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy? yes.... but I think they stopped working about 2 days ago

Placement of Gauges: 1/2 way up on back wall

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % 75-80temp 70-90 humid

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): Heat pad under cage, and on the side wall

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): 40 watt

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? yes 2

Is there any metal in your tank? Just the lid (Yikes?!)

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? Sticks plastic palm tree, and a peat wall attacment

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)? tap water that is declorinated

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind? zoo med

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? zoomed

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? dishes and sponges

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? there are 11 in the cage

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? no

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? no

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? yes

How often do you handle them? every couple of days

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? no

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? somtimes

What types of foods do you feed? fresh fruit and vegies, frozen fruit and vegies peanut butter, hermit snacks and Hermit fruit salad& hermit food
    tuna and cocoanut treats
    What do you use as a calcium supplement? calcisand
    </span>

If you can't answer all of them, answer as many quetions as truthfully as you can so we can get started! [​IMG]

We actually had one off our hermit crabs die about 4 days ago se we did a deep clean of the cage, then I woke up today and found one of the hermies "naked" He tested out a few of the shells but did not seem to like them because he went and hid under a water dish.
    I gor him some more new shells today and very carfully moved hime into a "pet keeper". with all the shells (including his old one) he id not very energenic anymore like he was when I found him. I am very worried!!!
    it has been over 3 hours since I found him. This is the first time My crabbies have ever moved out of their shell.

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

If you rinsed him off and put him with new shell, hopefully he will find one he likes. I had the same problem a little while ago. I came home from work and found one of my crabs walking around naked, and his shell was no where to be found. I rinsed of some spare shell with a weak salt water, and put him in a small container and left him alone for 30 minutes. When I came back, he was in a new shell looking up at me. Please keep us updated.

Jason

3. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Make sure the temp and humidity in the pet keeper are stable around 75. Also, make sure you give him a deep enough dishes of fresh and salt water in case he needs to soak. Maybe you should boil the shells in dechlorinated water just to be safe. I'd also discontinue all commercial crab foods. Other than that, I'm not sure....I've never had that happen to me.

4. Shiloh

Shiloh Hi, I'm New Here!

Good news so far!!! He found a Shell that he likes. My hubby called me at work last night around 11pm an said he finally picked one. He picked one that is way too big.... he looks silly. I think we will keep him in the isolation tank for now. He isn't moving around....yet!!
    My be when I get a new digital camera I will introduce you to them.
    Thanks for all of your support!
    Shiloh

5. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

mine did that. i adopted a crab from my moms friend who had like 6 in a small KK. when i got him he went naked for like 3 days then moved into a shell wayy too big. then he died, but that was because of the poor living conditions before i had him.

6. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Ususally it means the crab needs a bigger shell

7. Shiloh

Shiloh Hi, I'm New Here!

Well... Good news! He seems fine. He has been walking around and eating a little. I think we are going to move him back into the main cage tomorrow, Our other hermie is lonely.
    Hope all is well
    Shiloh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.