1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help please!! I'm new at this

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Crabfan09, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabfan09

Crabfan09 Hi, I'm New Here!

So I never gave any thought to having a hermit crab as a pet but I was over at my aunts house and she goes, " You want a hermit crab?" of course I said yes I love getting new pets! but she told me he never came out of his shell so I took him home but I didn't have a tank!!!! so I improvised, I had hamsters in the past but I eventually (thankfully:p) sold the little monsters, I then cleaned their cage with water and vinegar. it was a wire cage with a plastic bottom. To my surprise he started climbing up the wire walls!!! he, according to my aunt, never came out of his shell! but then he quickly withdrew back into his shell after a couple of days. so I knew this wasn't right. so I did some research and cleaned a ten gallon tank I had from the past and put some sand in it with easy access to both dechlorinated salt and fresh water with half of a clamshell for a food dish. I have a lid and I've been heating it with a heat lamp. But to get to the point...I've fed him spinach leaves cauliflower leaves smashed banana but he just won't come out. Is there any way I could cheer him up...and as far as the food goes do you guys have any preparation tips:confused:? any answers will be greatly appreciated!!! thanks!

2. MrCrab

MrCrab Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, don't wash the tank with anything other than dechlorinated water (etc spring bottled water will work) with the food read the safe food list on this website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Vinegar and water is an appropriate and highly recommended cleansing agent for crabby tanks. It is safe for the crabs and an environmentally friendly cleanser. It works great to defog and clean calcium deposits off of old aquariums.

4. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Hello Crabfan :) I would suggest getting him/her a friend, or two? They like to be with other hermie's & can get Very lonely when they live without some buddy's. He might perk up with a friend to "play" with! If you decide 2 get another crab, read all the Sticky posts on here about- Isolation for new crabs, introduction, bathing, & Much More. There is Lots of great info. here, for all of their needs.
    & as far as the food, Definetly read the Safe Food List & the Un-safe List. Plus, I would offer lots of choices for him daily. - cut up fresh veggies & fruits, un-seasoned & un-salted meats (raw or cooked). Peanut butter, Dried fruit, Organic baby food - (when I do baby food I will add a little corn-meal & sprinkle some cuttlebone in it), Almonds & other nuts, (nothing with table salt) Try something "fishy" for him, you can get freeze dried shrimp, bloodworms & krill at the petstore or wal-mart. Or a piece of un-cooked fish! They won't eat the same thing 2 nights in a row, and I would remove the fruits & fishy items in the morning - or you may get gnats.

Also, they love to dig in the substrate, (& must be able to burrow for a molt) is it moist? & does he have "hiding" spots? So he doesn't feel exposed? Hermie's really like the coconut huts. (at least mine do) Sounds like your doing a good job & I can tell you want him to be happy :) I am sure other's will include info. for you too, & Good Luck~! If you have more questions/concerns then ask away~! There is also a "search" tool that you can type in a topic, (example: "mites") & it will bring up posts for you to read. I use that a Lot! & Please give an up-date on how things are going :D I Hope it goes well~! & Happy 2 have you here!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  5. Crabfan09

Thank you guys sooo much!!!! all of the advice is really apreciate it!! thanks soo much!!

6. Crabfan09

Dezzi thank you especially! your advice was great!!

7. Dezzi

Thanks Crabfan :) I'm happy I could help you out some!
    Also for food - I have recently been ordering crab food from Vckums online store, it's called "Hermit Crab Addiction" - There are tons of yummy pre-made food choices, & my crabs have really enjoyed them~! It can make "dinner" time a lot easier, my crabs can be quite picky so I like giving them a lot of choices :D Plus, the prices are Amazing! The store also has other crab items too, Hemp climbing nets, (which I really want) Choya wood, & lots of other goodies~! So I thought you may like to check it out. Hope all is going well for you!

8. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Ditto, Hermit Crab Addiction Store in the best!!:D

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

A great big ditto from me too! My crabs don't know it, but they're dining at a 4 star restaurant thanks to "Auntie Vicki"! :D

10. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I love the Addiction store, I've only ordered twice but will again in the future. You might also consider checking out my own hermit crab food store, the link is in my signature. Sorry if it sounds like I'm just here to advertise, but I do have a few choices Vicki doesn't and I have low prices as well.
    That being said, it sounds like others have already given you good advice so I won't say anything more.

11. Crabfan09

Dezzi,
    you wanted me to keep you posted...well, he's not doing to well:(. his large claw was found at the bottom of his tank a couple days ago:eek:...I did some research and found that this may have happened because of the sudden drop of temperature. here in illinois it's gotten very cold lately and my room is located in the basement(so it's colder than the rest of the house) so, I packed hermon up and now him and I live our lives upstairs with the rest of the family:p. He's doing somewhat better...4 a while he wouldn't eat, and he never came out of his shell. but recently I've seen him out of his shell running around the tank:D. I think he's gonna be ok. I hope!!!!!

12. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hermit crabs are nocturnal.

13. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Hermit crabs are not nocturnal in captivity, if the temperature is not too high in the crabitat during the day they will come out. In the wild they are sort of nocturnal, since they don't come out while the sun is hot, but in our homes they are usually equally active.
    At least that's how it is in my house. I have nine crabs up right now, and about 5 are active during all times.

14. Dezzi

Crabfan, I hope he is still doing better! & he will grow a new claw when he molts:) He might still be stressed, but he can recover. Let us know how he's doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.