1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help no molt in long time!!!!!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by haleye1997, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

:(I have 4 hermit crabs. i have had one of them for 6 months now and she did not have black tips on her legs. i use calci sand. I am very worried about her i was going to buy forest bedding but i hear it attracts mites does it for real. any suggestions help me please!:(

2. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

Try using Eco Earth Coconut fiber substrate. You can mix it in with your calci sand. Make sure your substrate is at least twice as deep as your crabs. Make sure your humidity and temperature are within correct ranges. When the conditions are good and your crabs are ready they will molt! Also make sure you feed them fresh fruits and vegtables. Trust your crabs, they know when it is time to molt. Take good care of them. Provide them with everything they need and you will be fine.

Best of luck!:)

3. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I would just throw out the Calci-Sand. It gets very hard when wet so crabs can't bury into it. Buy either playsand from your local hardware store or, as previously mentioned, a brick or two of Eco-Earth. Forest Bedding isn't reccommended although for the life of me I can't remember why.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think it's the "Bed a Beast" that isn't reccomended. :)

5. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

I use calci sand and eco earth. If you mix your coconut substrate first and then add calci sand you shouldn't have any problems. Like mentioned in the earlier post, calci sand will clump together if you mix it with water. I have not had any clumping issues by adding it to the moist substrate. My crabs dig and tunnel all the time. I have had one molt in the mixture with no problems. :) I hope this helps!

6. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

I have always heard that "Bed a Beast" is not reccomended for the crabitat. Why is that?

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It contains soil and will most likely cause bacterial infections. The compressed coconut fibre doesn't have this danger in it.

8. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

I bought some of the Forest Bedding a while back, & I was not happy with it at all. It had some REALLY Hard pieces in it, that didn't break up, even when boiling salt water was added. I broke up some of it with my hands, but it was still Hard. I only tried a small amount, & I was glad I did. I picked out most of it, & I won't buy it again. It may work for some, but I personally didn't like it.

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Coco Fiber is great one crab molted in October and the other is molting now. Beware, crabs can sometimes only molt 1 every 18 months but usually thats only for large ones. mINE ARE ABOUT 3 inches.:):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.