1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! new crabbie owner.................

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by farleyfamily4@optonline.n, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farleyfamily4@optonline.n

farleyfamily4@optonline.n Hi, I'm New Here!

:confused:Hi! My name is Denise and I have just purchased 2 hermit crabs on Friday. I have them in a 10 gal tank with all the accessories needed (food dish, water dish with sponge, calcium shell, climbing toys) including 2 extra shells. One if my crabs has been changing shells several times a day! He has been in both extra shells and then moved back into his original shell, then into one of the extras etc..Is this normal?:confused: Does this mean he does not like any of them? Should I go and get different ones?

2. Carlos

Carlos "Never Molted"

Well, you dont have to replace all the shells but it woldnt hurt to get other ones and see if it likes those. Your crab probably not like the shells. Im just guessing.

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

id get more shells and it is normal for them to change shell alot.

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Yes I would get more shells, there are tons of websites you can buy them from or the petstores have them. You can also go to your local craft store and buy the ones that are for decorations in a bag, you can usually get about 4-6 nice useable ones in that bag. I would also boil them in salt water before offering them to them.

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Hermies change shells like some people buy shoes. :) Especially the PPs.

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

On HCRU you may often see us refer to this as "shell shopping"....they move in and out. A totally normal tactic desigend to freak out the new crab owner;) Did you boil your shells first?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.