1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by nick-dadson, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

I have purchased a new tank, which is approx. 18 litres. It's 45cm long, 25cm high and 25cm wide.

Firstly - How much is 18 litries in gallons? I've heard some contradictive posts on this, and the google calculator gives different results from my phones convertor, and the old conversion chart in my school books!!

Secondly - Im getting some new plants and bowls and stuff from here: Aquarium Products, now, Im thinkinng one of the small plants that hangs down: They are 30cm high, but I can bury the bottom few leaves so that the hermies can climb straight on. Im getting some of the small exo-terra dishes that look like rock, too.

What else can I get for my hermies, that is low cost? I really want a good cave for them, but I can't find any, anywhere at all :(

2. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

when i made a cave for my hermies, i got a gerbal hidy from petco and also a plastic container with the side cut out. i get all my supplies from walmart and michaels, everything is so cheap. look around on the diff. hermit crab sites and look at others photos and you'll get ideas.

3. nick-dadson

nick-dadson (Micro Crab)

Well I got some stuff for the tank:

I bought a Reptile ONE / Aqua ONE cave at Pet Connection. It's just fantastic. It has three openings (mind you one is covered by the net from the backwall while I blocked the other with a rock for s bit more privacy (my biggest hermie is very shy) and it looks just like a natural rock, even with all the lines and stuff made into it. My smallest just loves to climb on it. Hehe, and the biggest hasn't come out.

Mum also gave me another ornament when we got home which was going to be for my birthday in a few weeks, and originally for my fish tank but she thought seeing as I had a new crabitat I might like it now. It again is a very natural looking rock, this time though it has no openings, just lots of nice marks and some lovely fake plants: About 4 or 5 different sorts, just coming out of it in places.

So that's added to my two fake plants, netting (which I also added today - Mum wasn't pleased when I cut up her strwaberry net :p), my lovely little food dish which is ceramic and painted red and orange with a purple hermie on it, my fresh water container (Im still trying to get those little ones that look like rock, and I'll get 2 so i can have salt water as well.

Tonight I gave them some crushed popcorn, coconut and sultanas. I found a big list of things on another website which they like. I was amazed at how many things they will eat and enjoy!

At the moment Im still using a desk lamp for my primary heat source. I can't find a heat pad anywhere, and I want to buy local. But, the lady at my closest pet store, The Mowbray Pet Shop, said that over the past few weeks she's had many people asking for Hermies, heaters for them, food, accessories etc, so she'll be getting them back in soon. So I guess I'll be using the lamp at least for a few more weeks. Just as long as I keep the humidity up, and spray every few hours it should be fine, though :)

4. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

my mom made a recent discovery that your hermies might love, especially if you have small crabs. A petstore owner told her about a product for reptiles (mainly for like salamanders, ect), that's a rock with a u shaped tunnel inside of it. It comes in two halves and it's magnetic. the big half goes inside the tank... and get this, the smaller half goes on the outside! so it looks like you have a rock through the glass! but what's really cool about it is that you can take the outer part off and see your hermies (or lizards) inside the tunnel! how cool is that? I'll look up the price for you ^^

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

That does sound really cool....what stores carry it?

6. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.