1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Naked crabbie, just molted!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by HermitWren, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitWren

HermitWren Hi, I'm New Here!

Help! I really don't know what to do.
    I have had three hermies for about a year now. None of them have ever molted until the other day.

It was a surprise to me... I just walked over to the tank yesterday and i saw a few of his leg pieces (I assumed he had already eaten the rest of the exoskeleton) and he was tucked away inside his shell. Not buried or anything, just sitting on top of the sand. From the things that I read online, I thought it would be best to isolate him from the other hermies to recover, so I put him in an isolation tank with a little food, water and a lot of sand, and put him in a dark, quiet room.

I peeped in on him last night to see if he had maybe buried himself, but he was OUT OF HIS SHELL! He was just sort of standing in the water dish. Not wanting to scare him, I left him alone. This morning I checked again, and he is just sitting in a corner of the tank, no shell. He moves a little bit when i look at him, but he doesn't act like he has enough energy to try to get away if he is scared.

I have a feeling he is getting ready to die :( is there anything I can do????????????? Have you ever heard of this happening? Please, please help. I feel so horrible for him.

2. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

What is the humidity and temperature of that ISO? It could be he is uncomfortable.

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

put him in a Cup with a shell his size an A little water. place in a dark palce for a while. its about a 50% chance he will take the shell.

4. HermitWren

The temperature is at about 73 degrees, humidity says 76. It's been like 2 days now. He is still in the same corner of the ISO tank. He acts more alert when i come near but he won't crawl. He really doesn't seem near death to me though? I don't know. Could he just be stressed and tired from molting? His shell is about 3 inches from him but he won't get back in. He has sand all over his abdomen... should i try to rinse him off and put him a cup with his shell so he'll get in? I just don't know what else to do for him. Any suggestions???

5. HermitWren

is it going to be bad for me to touch him since he is just freshly molted though?

6. HermitWren

:D Great news!!!! i rinsed him a little, put him in a bowl with some water and a couple of shells... he got back in his shell in about 10 minutes!!! Phew... i know he is still pretty stressed out from molting. Should I keep him in the ISO tank or put him back with the other 2 crabbies?

7. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Assuming there are no other crabs with him in isolation, you could give him a variety of shells, along with the one he had on before moulting. First, boil the shells in the saltwater you use in the tank. When they've cooled, make sure there is nothing in the shells that could irritate him. I would also leave just a drop of water in the shell. If he's on substrate, quickly rinse him in saltwater.

Then, just let nature take its course. Please let us know what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.