1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! My Temperature and/or Humidity is either too high or too low!

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by frenchpea2002, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :dontknow:

2. LolaGranola

LolaGranola Guest

Here is an article from Sue (RFCrabs), I'll put a linkback button in here when your site is up Sue.

3. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Up the humidity

Low Humidity: Keep crabitat away from heater/air conditioning vents as these are very drying. Wet natural sea sponges can be added to the crabitat to increase the humidity. A damp towel can be draped over the crabitat. Moving water dishes or bathing pools nearer to the heat source will cause more water to evaporate from them (so if you choose to do this you will have to watch that the receptacles for water do not run dry). Misting is a quick fix, but dissipates fast. Some tanks are sold w/ screen lids which are meant for reptiles which live in dry climates and allow all of your humidity to escape. If your crabitat has a lot of vented area, you can seal it off (leaving an open space for airflow) using cling wrap or replacing a screen lid w/ a plexiglass top. Is your substrate damp? If you are using sand, it needs to be wet (petstores & kiosks often display crabs in dry shallow sand, but those conditions are not to be copied). Adding eco earth to sand can help retain moisture. Adding a moss pit (dried floral moss is soaked in hot dechlorinated water, strained, and added to the crabitat perhaps in a shallow dish) is another great way to "up" the humidity.

4. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

I keep my humidity within the limits by adjusting the glass lid on the tank. If it's too high, I will crack it and if it's too low, I will close it up. It works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.