1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Mite Infested Tank w/ Molter

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Hermie's rule, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Okay. I need some help here. I have small white bugs:eek: in the crabitat that as far as I can tell live in the substrate and I havn't seen them on the crabs. I need help though. I have a molter that just molted and is still very soft. I'm afraid that the mites or whatever those things are will eat my crab. I've got another crab that is acting normally. Now, I've seen some fruit flies in the tank. I think that the bugs came from them and are larva. The questions are;:confused: Will the mites eat my crab? Why haven't I seen them on the crabs? What do they (these bugs) eat? & ???? I need some HELP! What do I do to keep the crabs and molter safe if they do eat crabs? Help is appreciated.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

If they are mites, they can harm your crabs. I have a bug thread at my site, a member made it who is an expert and ID'ing bugs.
    Login

Login

You got a few options once you figure out what the bugs are.

3. Hermie's rule

Well, I think that the bugs came from fruit flies. If you could somehow help me figure out what to do or what those things are I'd really appreaciate it. Think of my molter. He'll die if I don't get help!

4. Hermie's rule

Here's an update. I think that the bugs are really fruit fly larve. How do I get rid of them? Do I move my molter? The internet says that fruit flys feed on rotting matter. My crab just molted and is still rather soft. I don't want him to die.

5. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Would it be possible to provide a picture of the larvae? If they really are fruit fly larvae my HUNCH is that they won't hurt your crabs in the short term. As the internet said they like rotting matter, and in particular like rotting fruit. If you can safely clean your substrate except where the molter is that might be a good step towards getting rid of the flies. You might have fruit bits decomposing in your tank which is what the flies and larvae would be feeding on. Fruit flies as a rule don't eat meat or living critters. Keep in mind I'm new to this, so I'm hesitant to offer more specific advice about the handling of your molter! Depending on how long your molter has been down already, maybe it would be safe to wait until he's up before really trying to solve the larvae problem. But a picture would help so I could make a positive ID for you.

6. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

I forgot to mention that there is a safe way to trap your adult flies (If in fact they are fruit flies!). Use a small jar with a small amount of cider vinegar in the bottom. (You could also use rotting fruit, etc. The vinegar is an attractant) Make a paper funnel and put it in the mouth of the jar. Put this in your crabitat making sure it won't fall over or get disturbed by the crabs. (But vinegar is now considered safe for crabs to eat so don't worry too much if it does tip!) The adult fruit flies will fly into the jar but can't find their way out. Periodically empty the jar and add some more vinegar. This will help keep the flies from breeding. Good luck!

7. Hermie's rule

Thanks for the information. I'll try it in the tank.

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

What do you want to know now? Its been days did you scoop out the bugs? Should not harm the crab unless the eggs got in their shell. Is there a rotting leg around from molting?

9. Hermie's rule

I scoop out bugs every time I see them. The molter seems to be doing well and as soon as he finishes the exo, he'll be up. I just asked you to see what you thought about the bugs harming the crabs. Thanks.

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Deep clean as soon as you can and sterilize it all.........hurry up lil molter!

11. Hermie's rule

By the way, On Monday I first discovered that the molter had molted. Today I noticed (this is Thursday) that there was :( (!) --bugs eating the exoskeleton and I examined the molter and saw -- bugs on him too!!! What should I do? There are none on my other hermit crab. How soon after molt should I bathe the crab?

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Im confused- I thought you said the molter was still down--now its up?.............and I thought you said you thought it was larvae from flies----------

what is it? If it were me I would bathe the crab- ISO and start over.........but I really dont understand what kind of bug you have and how soft this crab still may be :confused:

13. Hermie's rule

Okay, the crab almost surface molted, so he's very close to the surface. He's still alive. I heard though that hermit crabs if you bathe them when they're too soft they will die. It's been over 5 days since the guys molt. He ate most of his exo except for a leg. Hmmm. I think I do have larve from fruit flys in the tank but I don't see any fruit flys emerging. I don't know. Just tell me if you think that I can bathe him and I'll start on that tank today.

14. List Of Demands

List Of Demands "First Molt In Progress"

those are mites! I had the same white bugs and no flys at all, i'm pretty sure they're mites and I just recently got rid of them, you need to bathe your crabs and clean the tank completely as soon as you can.

15. Hermie's rule

Okay. It's war now. -Sigh- Just what I don't want. The freshly molted crab is doing fine. He's in the iso after a salt water bath. I didn't see any mites on the bath water though after bathing him. Please help and tell me what you think these things are.

16. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

we could guess forever---------can you take a pic and what research are you doing to see what fly larvae does in that stage...also the links that Vckums gave you did you go over that again?

17. Hermie's rule

Hmmm. I can't get to the links because I have to have a login at that site to see the article. I don't think I could take a pic. They move to fast. Vckums could you please either pm me the article or qoute some here? I tried researching the life cycle of a fruit fly. I should research mites too, I guess. I'll post back and tell you my findings.

18. Hermie's rule

Okay! I came across an excellent link on another crab site that I'd like to share here. It may be helpful for others to see.
    The Crab Street Journal : Hermit Crab Magazine » Forums » Emergency Care » A guide to bugs in the crabitat BY JEDEDIAH
    I think what I have is called book lice. They are harmless and actually can be quite beneficial in your crabitat. But they are extremely hard to get rid of. I found that the general rule of thumb is; if your crab has bugs on him, especially near his mouth parts, abdomen, or legs, the bugs are harmful. But if the bugs are in the food dish, and elsewhere in the tank, the bugs are fine. Hope that helps anyone who is wondering what invaded their tank. :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Its the same link as I have on my site, same author. Jedediah is amazing with bugs.

20. Hermie's rule

Interesting. I'm glad I came across it. By the way, I have one more small question to ask; My normal crab has this habit of coming out of his shell so that his eye stalks are lowered, eyes drooping (somewhat) and legs somewhat limp. He just sits there until I walk past and open the tank lid and then he bursts into activity. Why does he act like that? Humidity is normal. He does it whenever he's sitting somewhere doing nothing. Can someone tell me why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.