1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide! Which tank to get?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by starmaiden, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

I currently have 2 40B and 1 30B and 2 20L for my tanks, but I am planning on adding another large tank soon and eliminating the 20Ls (and maybe the 30B too). My dilemma is I can't decide if I should get another 40B or if I should save my money for a few months and get a 125G.

The table I'm planning to use as a stand is 6.5 feet by 3 feet. I know there's a lot of folks who are big fans of the 75G, but it would be an odd size and won't fit there with another tank. Two 40B side by side or a 125G would fit there perfectly.

The pros of another 40B:
    *Cheaper, I have the $$ now.
    *Got the lights and stuff already for it
    *Shorter height-wise, than a 125G
    * lighter, I can move it myself.

The cons:
    * smaller for da crabbies.
    * 1 more tank to maintain if I have 2 40b instead of 1 huge tank.

The pros of a 125G:
    *lots of room for the crabs to explore, especially some of my older crabs who are fast approaching jumbo size.
    *1 tank to maintain instead of 2.

The cons:
    *More expensive
    *Unknowns as far as heating and humidity stability issues.
    *Can't move by myself.

Anybody have any experience maintaining a tank of this size? Is it easier? Harder? Your thoughts appreciated.

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I'd say go for the bigger one. One tank is def much more easier to maintain on a daily basis as is the deep clean part of it (it'll take longer tho.). It will also free up space in your house and the crabs will thank you for it.

I know Vicki had a 120 gal tank at some point, she'd be the best person to answer your questions on heat and humidity.

You know what they say... bigger is better, lol!!!

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:whaaaat: DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I stated my reasons on the other thread :hermez:

4. starmaiden

:weirdo: HermEZ, You so silly!!! But we love you anyways!!!! :hug2:

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL Hermz just likes multiple tanks :sarcastic:

I had a 120g reptile tank. Loved it as there was room for the 80+ crabs I had and could've added more with no problems. I deep cleaned about every 5-6 months. It took an hour or so but so worth it to do only 1 tank. I would suggest going with a reptile tank as they are lighter weight wise and wider.

6. starmaiden

Was it harder to heat and keep the humidity stable in a tank that huge?

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

No it wasn't. I had 2 tri lights, and covered the 2 screens with some acrylic. I didn't use any UTH's. I had a moss pit in there, and then the turtle docks with moss. I used sand for substrate. I had to raise the wattacge on the bulbs in winter but it was stable.

8. starmaiden

:think: The largest terrariums made specifically for reptiles I've seen around here is the 40B from critterz and they run about $100 at places like Petco and PetSmart. Although you can sometimes find a sale and get them a little cheaper.

I looked into ordering a terrarium from these guys:
    http://www.glasscages.com

because their prices are awesome, but they don't have any shows/deliveries near me and they will only ship plexiglass. I'm not sure if I want a plexiglass tank. I'm worried about the crabs scratching it.

I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, freecycle and craigslist for quite awhile now too.

9. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I'm not familiar with reptile terrariums, but aren't they not as strong as an aquarium would be? The reason I ask is because of the weight of sand that it will be filled with or combo of sand EE, I don't know what you use. Aquariums are built to hold the weight of water I'm not sure terrariums are.

I hope this makes sense, just want to help if I can.

10. starmaiden

I use EE, which is lighter than play sand. But that is a valid concern Crabaddict because terrariums are made with thinner glass. I have 2 40B terrariums and they are much lighter than the 40B aquariums.

11. starmaiden

12. shmama

shmama Guest

:whaaaat: WHOA...THaT is SweeeeT! If you can get to it, you should definitely check it out! :drooltongue: I am personally going to try to stick to Aquariums because they are much easier to maintain the levels in this part of the country (WI) where our weather varies so extremely with the seasons (& apparently my house is drafty). I've been trying to get the 50g just right ever since I set it up months ago. I know I need a better top- which I'm currently working on getting hubby to cut a piece of acrylic for... but my other 2 tanks are no problem without that & they are both the thicker glass aquariums. :vinkko:

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

14. starmaiden

Problem is, I need a truck and a few people to help me move it. But if I can get that together... :rubhands: I haven't heard back from the guy yet, so he may not still have it.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

My 120g was a reptile tank. So is the 60g I have now. In the 120g I had anywhere from 250-300lbs of sand in there and the 60g has 100lbs right now.

16. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

That's what a hermies dreams are made of... and it is easy on the wallet! Man I can't believe I couldn't find anything on my Craiglist. I just spent $470 on a 65gal tank, pine cabinet, glass top and screen. That doesn't iclude all the extra stuff like 200lbs. of sand, heaters, coral and the like. I was in desperate need of a new set up tho. This old 55 has seen better days... anything for my decapods :straw:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Star, I hope he gets in touch soon!

17. starmaiden

Where did you get your reptile tank Vicki? I've looked around online and in the yellow pages, but maybe I need to keep my eyes out for a reptile show in this area. I have time to save and look around, it's not like my babies need a new tank right away. They all have on average 4 gallons each. :)

18. starmaiden

:chuckle: Ain't it the truth? I was going over my spending last year, and I noticed I spent way more on shells for the crabbies the clothes for me! :eek:ops2:

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Star I got it at EBV. There's a link on the site here for them. They got a long list of tanks.

20. starmaiden

Unfortunately they don't ship though. :( I haven't been able to locate a similar herp store here in the Puget Sound area, maybe because big reptiles (like boa constrictors) are illegal to own?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.