1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Lost one already don't want to lost another!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by ILMiHermies(3), Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILMiHermies(3)

ILMiHermies(3) Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm really worried. My most active hermit crab (Kermie) is getting in the habit of digging a hole and staying there all the time. He's not changing colors and i noticed today that a little piece of one of his legs has broken off. I have two hermit crabs totaled ( Kermie and Hades). Hades has never been really active but I've noticed lately neither of them are eating.

I'm not sure what to do.

I've already lost one and he was doing the same thing Kermie has started to do.

HELP PLEASE

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Please fill out the help template so we can further help you.
    1. Tank size and type (glass, plastic, etc)?

2. Type of lid or cover?

3. Type of substrate used and depth?

4. Temperature of the ‘tat?

5. Temperature of the substrate?

6. Humidity in the ‘tat?

7. Type and location of gauges?

8. Source of heat (heating pad/lamp) and/or humidity (tropic-air/misting)?

9. Types of food fed (commercial or homemade)?

10. How often do you switch out food?

11. Types of water available (fresh and/or salt)? If salt water is used, what brand and how much salt to water do you mix it with?

12. Decholorinator used? If so, does it have stress coat in it?

13. How deep are the water dishes?

14. Do you use sponges in the water? If so, how often are they exchanged and sterilized?

15. How many crabs are in the tank?

16. How long have you had them?

17. Do you know what species they are?

18. Have you had a successful molt with them?

19. If you take them out of the tank for a length of time, do you mist their gills first?

20. Do you bathe them, if so, in what kind of water and how frequently?

21. Are there any unusual odors in the tank? If so, what are they like, like a gym sock smell, a fishy smell, etc?

22. Has there been anything new added to the tank recently?

23. Are your hands clean before handling the crabs or anything in the tank?

24. Has there been any smoking, candles, perfumes, hair sprays, air fresheners, or paint near the ‘tat?

25. Do you use anything to clean the tank (inside or out) such as glass cleaner, bleach, etc? if so, is it with the crabs in or out, and if out, how soon are they returned to the 'tat?

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

fill out the template and if everything is proper with it sadly it could be pps,post purchase syndrome or stress. Unfortunately some just dont make it. I lost 2 when I started. The only thing I can tell you is to find out when the store gets its shipment of crabs in and purchase them as soon as they go to the store. Thats how I got crabs that were healthy.I hope your crab baby's will bounce back.
    Keep us posted.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

and the best thing to after you get them is hands off for a month , don't mess with them a lot. just give lots of good foods like high protiens, the calcium and all that and give them their waters and clean the tank. crabs can go through a non eating stage at any time to. mine just did it and i've had them over 3 yrs. make sure when you buy crabs look at them for a bit before you buy, then ask the sales person to lift them up, see how they act without someone misting them to death, i mean you would be all coming out and growly hyper if someone was misting you in the face right and someone saying oh they love it! i looked for ones that came out , were active, lively, went for more of the bigger ones.. and the mom and pop shop didn't go buy tons of them, every other week so i knew mine were from the same batch. good luck, just cause he is doing the same thing as the other crab doesn't mean dooms day!

5. ILMiHermies(3)

Kermie ended up just tryin to molt . But the other one was not molting for sure. We think he may of been sick he was never really active. But any adivce on helping my lil buddy molt easier wod be much apreactied. The weird thing is that he left his shell when he molted. Should I try in force him into a shell concerding he just molted wensday morning? I didn't realize he wad molting and dug him up but I put him under his cocnut and placed his shell near him with his old skeleton. Is there anything se I can do to hp him?

6. ILMiHermies(3)

7. scoobdoo

crabs leave the shell when they molt, they shed the outer shell of theirs[ that excoskeleton ] it takes time to have their new one harden, i wouldn't force him in a shell, just put it by him. he might be to weak and you can stress him more. you can put the hut over him with his exco so he can eat it and then i'd just leave him be for a day or two. i have dug up a molter to by mistake, sometimes they make it and others they get to stressed and die. they can be hardy crabs but man once they get stressed or sick, it seems like they turn on ya! good luck!!!

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

was the crab shedding its old exo when you dug it up or was he already done ?Was he a pastel pink or purple ? Just put the hut over him with the exo and cover the tank to make it dark and leave it be for a couple of days. When you check on himlook but dont touch and then cover again right away. If he is ok then the exo should be about gone in a couple of days and he should be up moving around in about 10 days depending on his size. Good luck with your crabby and hope for the best.

9. ILMiHermies(3)

[img width=300 height=400]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303236_10150365053157309_529272308_8456787_1926013890_n.jpg[/img]

this is kermie. I just picked up the coconut house. I didn't touch him but he was moving better than the other day.

10. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

How deep is your substrate? Surface molts happen when your substrate is either too shallow, the wrong type of substrate (not able to dig) or not moist enough.

11. ILMiHermies(3)

He's surface moltin because I accidently dug him up. Its eco earth and about 2 inches thick. he had a little nest but I didn't know what he was doing.

12. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The substrate is a little shallow. It should be about 3 times the size of the crab.EE is good to use cause it is much lighter than sand so if the air pocket colapes there is a bigger chance of servival. Im glad to hear that he is doing better but give him space to recooperate. Give him water and let him eat his exo. The darker the better. If he was molting under ground he would be in total darkness so you should try to immitate his natural surounding.

13. ILMiHermies(3)

Well where he was digging he had pushed alot of the surrounding dirty to his side of the tank. So where he was, was much thicker. Hes my tank messer uper.

14. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I know what you mean. I have at least one going into pre-molt right now and they are destroying to tank. Spilling all the water,digging under water dishes,digging under the food dish and getting dirt piled in it. Its just a mess. Is your crab back into it's shell?

15. ILMiHermies(3)

I took his shell out last night to measure it and I order bigger shells Today so I put it back next to him. When I lifted the cocnut he took off runnin across the tank and did a few circles.so I put the shell back under the cocnut and cornerd him in the entrance and he crawled back into his shell. I'm so glad he's doin much better and exetremely happy that he's almost done molting.

16. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

The act of molting(shedding its exo) itself only takes minutes to a few hours. Which is the most important and dangerous time. To dig up a crab that is in the act of the actual molt or right after is when they are at their most vulnerable and weak. For about 24hrs. after the molt they can not move much at all. The rest of the time they are preparing or recovering. If you see the crab getting out of the cocohut and walking around with him in its shell just let him. It is regaining its strenth and it is time to feed him again.

17. scoobdoo

darn crabs! they stress us out more than they get stressed!

18. ILMiHermies(3)

most Def! Me and My boyfriend were in tears when we though he was dead. We dont have human kids, just Hermie Kids lol

19. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Hello,I have not been on here for awhile but I do read often.I read a post on this thread that confused me so I thought I would ask.Please do not think I am trying to be rude or attacking another member. I thought crabs molt "inside " their shell,to protect their soft bodies. They shed their exo inside the shell and push it out . They can surface molt inside the shell or out,but a normal molt is burrowed and shelled. I know Mrs.scoobydoo is a long time member and knowledgable so no disrespect.I thought it was important info.
    Also,I thought placing the uth "under" the tank was unsafe for molters.Sorry not trying to nit pick.
    IBlab crab

20. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

There are crabs that have a harder time molting so they will exit their shell to do so.I have seen videos that show them doing so.Also there are 2 typs of uth a desert and a tropical. The tropical does not get near as hot as the desert.It just gets warm. The tropical is what sme use if their house gets too cold. I have a tropical under my tank. but I dont use it I just cant get it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.