1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP Ist molt

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by hermie5, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermie5

hermie5 Hi, I'm New Here!

OMG i went in to clean and feed my hermies today and was happily moving each one from their hiding place to check on them picked up belle and thought OH GOD belle's dead myniece favorite crabbie passed... ooo then thought hit really dead perhaps she is molting of course dummy me i had already moved her shel with what i thought was a dead her .... shook shell exo fell out OMG no belle in exo >>>> PUt everything back shel with remianing exo and piece that fellout replaced castle steps she was under very careful to aviod lump where i think she is >>>>> HElp now what do i just sheck on her each day what what what am so worried ... how do i tell if she survived so far ...how do i tell if she is still doing ok niece will be devasted if she dies what can i do to help her..... is sand to be moist dry etc etc moisty dry around her should i add water around her etc etc ... how long does it take a very small one inch crap to moltwill she chose a ew shell or move into her old one should i put in more shells close to her so she doesn't have to go far to chose one.... help please .. I live in SOuth GA so heat and humidity we have plenty of but should i mist the tank to add moisture oce or twice a day.. plase help thanks hermie5

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

OK. Starting at the beginning belle probably did a surface molt. You should try and put her in ISO. You can use a little plasic bow or something and put it inside your old tank if you don't have an ISO tank already. From what I heard belle's exoskeleton probably fell out of her shell and she is still in her shell. You should leave her alone under a hide or cocohut. Give her lots of calcium rich foods such as honey, shrimp exo, calcium dust, peanut butter, blackstrap mollases (Only 1-2 times a month), sunflower seeds, pumkin seeds etc. Give her rest because she is really stressed out. Double check your humidity and make sure that they substrate is moist and at least twice as high as her. Also calibrate your humidity gauge. check the temp as well. If you smell a fishy smell then she is proabably dead. Make sure it's pretty strong because they giveoff a little fishy smell when they molt. You might want to check on her every day but don't touc her. Make sure she has acess to fresh and salt water. It might take her acouple weeks to molt and she will not neccesarily change shells. She will big bigger (I've noticed the difference with my crabs) so after her molt she will be most likely to change shell then after any other time. The reason you should ISO her is that the other crabs might eat her. If they aren ot getting enough calcium protien fat etc. Here is the link to a diet page listing calcium proteinss and fats you should feed them.
    HermitCrabCentral

Good Luck.

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Good luck!!!
    What cococrips said about moving belle to the ISO great but if u think you will disturb her put the other hermies in the iso and belle is regular till she done then clean it up

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It would be best if you shoveled belle, along with a little dirt she is sitting on into the ISO you would not disturb her and she will be in ISO.

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I agree with cococrisp. Is Belle doing okay?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.