1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by rugh1982, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Crab one: Can't tell, could be a PP or an Indo, we'll need better pics of the eye shape. EDIT: From the looks of crab 3, crab 1 now could be a Ruggie or Ecuadorian, along with an indo or PP still.

Crab 2: Which crab in the picture are you talking about? The one to the right, could be a PP, Indo, Ecuadorian, or Ruggie, I can't see the eyes/eye stalks.

Crab 3: Definately either an Ecuadorian or Ruggie, tell me does he have any dark blotches on his eye stalks? If so, it's a ruggie. Great coloring on him btw. Try to get pics like this one on the other hermits, it'll help me narrow the choices.

Lol Now you know, with my identifying ability, Eyes/Eye Stalks are 95% of what I look for.

3. rugh1982

is this one better?
    maybe u can point me to an article so i can identify them myself? they keep hiding when they see me so it is a bit hard to shoot them

Picasa Web Albums - roee

4. OneOnion

It's definitely a ruggie or Ecuadorian, I'm leaning towards ecuadorian. I'll give you a short way on identifying. EDIT: Crud, I just remembered! Do you live in australia? If so, you've got Aussie Hermit Crabs.

Purple Pinchers/PP/C. Clypeatus: Most common hermit crab in the U.S. Eyes are circular with a very slight point at the bottom, like a comma. Violet/purple big pincher

Indonesian/Indo/C. Brevimanus: Commonly mistaken as a PP. Less common. Completely circular eyes, and a GIGANTIC big pincher. Pincher is purple, like the PP.

Ecuadorian/Eccie/E/C. Compressus: Second most common in the U.S. Candy corn shaped eye stalks, elongated eyes like: () . Can be most any color, and any multiple colors at once. ie: Mostly brown with a partly grey and greenish purple pincher, black back legs.

Ruggie/Rug/C. Rugosus: Very uncommon. Hard to keep. Sensitive to Humidity/temp fluctuations. Commonly mistaken by Ecuadorians. Dark blotches on bottom of eyes, while E's eyes are plain. Also, Ruggies tend to be a more uniform color, unlike the E's lots of different colors.

Strawberry/Straw/C. Perlatus: Very uncommon. Hard to keep. Requires larger enclosures. Sensitive to Humidity/temp fluctuations. With a brilliant bright red and small white spots, the Strawberry hermit crab is arguably the most beautiful hermit crab in the hobby.

Aussie/Australian/C. Variabilis: I don't know much about this, except if you live in australia you probably have this crab. A link to aussie hermitt crab:
    Australian land hermit crab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. rugh1982

i think they are strawberries
    HERMIT-CRABS.COM
    just found this link, they look exactly like it
    and i`m from israel

6. rugh1982

but one of them has purplish legs, so i don't really know...

7. rugh1982

and they are all bright red

8. OneOnion

Hmm, I don't know. If you look at straw pictures, they have white follicles(the small dots). From your pictures, the follicles on it are black.

9. rugh1982

maybe they are too small to see the follicles (they are smaller than a teaspoon)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.