1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - home knocked over and buried surface molter!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Dmrieck, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmrieck

Dmrieck Hi, I'm New Here!

About 3 -4 weeks ago (I'll have to check my calendar) my daughter knocked over her nightstand which holds our crabitat (glass aquarium w/ lid). We had a surface molter and when the nightstand tipped over the house slip off and landed on its side. After sitting it back up right - i found the top of the molters shell he is sitting upright and I left him as is and removed the other hermies to a smaller house for now. He is still in the exact same position and has not moved. I've covered the tank and made it dark and quiet. It does not smell fishy - no smell at all. What should we do?? We've been worried about him for weeks and we need to get the other 2 back in the larger aquarium. I wouldn't even know how to "dig" him up. We always leave our molters alone. Oh and he molted about 2 weeks earlier (for about 3-4 weeks)....I was surprised to see him molting again -he is not big he's is rather small. I would greatly appreciate ANY suggestions!

2. Dmrieck

Dmrieck Hi, I'm New Here!

HELP - home knocked over - template questions answered

In addition to my previous post seeking help........

Any suggestions on crabs that keep dying , please hep, tell us if there is something we are doing is wrong

How long have you had the crab(s) in question? 1 1/2 years
    Do you know what species they are? PP

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs? no (yes he is now)

Tank Size: 10 gallon

Lid Type: solid - glass/folds up

Placement of tank in your home: daughter's room (nightstand on a towel..right now he is covered w/ a blanket too - to keep it quiet and dark

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth): moist beach sand, cypress bed, cali-sand

Type of Gauges:

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?no dont have one

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees % 70 -75

Heating Source

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage): outside room lamp

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide? yes

Is there any metal in your tank? yes - the grate that came w/ the cheap plastic crabitats

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank? ....can't name right now

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    dechlorinated drinking water from botle and salt water (made from the hermit crab sea salt)

If you use dechlorination drops-which kind? no

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? see above and bottled water

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges? dishes

How many extra shells do you have for each crab? 2

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank? yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? sometimes - they always have clean water both fresh and salt
    Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands? sometimes

How often do you handle them?every other day
    Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? no
    Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank? yes

What types of foods do you feed? crab chow, coconut - organic crab food
    What do you use as a calcium supplement? cali sand

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

I read your post and wasn't sure if you have 2 molters or just the one surface molter.

If it's just the surface molter, leave him be and set up the regular tank for the other crabs. Might be a good time to move the tank to a spot where it can't get knocked or tipped over.

Other then that, have to wait and see how he does. Got my fingers crossed for ya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.