1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! dying crabs

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by catcrayz101, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catcrayz101

catcrayz101 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have had five hermit crabs since last summer and three have died. I still have no idea why they did. The first two started getting sluggish and weren't doing anything. The third was very energetic though. I left it for a day and night and came home to find it dead. What is going on and what should I do to prevent future deaths?

Katherine

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

It'd be helpful if you'd provide some info about the temp and humidity in your crabitat. Most of the time that seems to be what causes crab deaths. I try to keep my temp and humidity both at 75. Also, I have heaters on either side of the tank so that they alternate which one is on in order to give a warm side and cool side. But the overall temp is 75. Anyway, that's a long way of saying to check your temp and humidity. Also, if you're feeding them commercial crab foods that may be contributing to the deaths. I feed mine only foods with no nasty preservatives. Check out epicureanhermit.com - Home for some good food ideas. Also, they need a constant source of both fresh and salt water.

3. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

oh...and the water (salt and fresh) needs to be dechlorinated....I use bottled spring water

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.