1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by cletis911, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cletis911

cletis911 Hi, I'm New Here!

I am very new to this, have only been crabbing for about a month now. Didnt realize how much there is to it. My son wanted 2 for Valentine's day. The guy at the petstore said that you only have to feed them the little pellets, which i have read is a bad idea, and change out the substrate once a week or so. He also stated that they would be fine in the little plastic 1g tat that came with them, now I know thats a lie as well. Luckily I had a friend getting rid of his hermie and a 10g tat so I was happy and so were they. Then I got a 20g tat and 7 more PPs. Unfortunately one of my PPs was sick or stressed because he passed away yesterday after only having him for a week and a half. I have joined several forums so that I can get as much info as possible. Thank you in advance for answering all my questions that I am gonna have. I am also quickly learnig about having eco earth and a second level in my tat. They seem to be very happy with the net and cholla wood I have supplied them to play on. Anyway enough rambling. Thats enough for now.

2. spane116

spane116 (Micro Crab)

Welcome! Sorry about your loss. Best of luck with your second level!

3. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Hello and welcome! That's how it all starts......one or two little crabs in a plastic container. Then the bigger tank, add more crabs, then an even bigger tank, and add MORE crabs. Funny how that happens to so many of us!

I've only been crabbing a couple of years, and just about everything I learned came from this site and the wonderful people that answer my dumb questions. LOL! Yes, this little hobby turned out to be a lot more involved than I ever thought it would be. I see that you're finding out already that the last place to get advice is from the pet store. Most of the employees are truly ignorant about what hermit crabs need, nor do I think they care.

I used to use this mulch-type bedding that the crabs seemed to like okay, but recently switched over to all sand. It just seems more natural for crabs. But to each his own. The hardest part is getting their diet right. What they need more of, and what they need less of. You can do searches on this site, and learn what foods are good sources of protein, what foods help the crabs retain their color, learn about calcium, etc, etc.

Well, good luck, and I'll be watching for your posts, Cletis911 !

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow you have really improved your conditions for being so new. Good job! It took me about 5 months to upgrade my crabs to a larger tank. Now I have 5. Unfortunately I lost one of my new crabs Snap a couple days ago. I'm still sort of in mourning. My dad said that I was in mourning yesterday afternoon and I told him it was not morning it was afternoon.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.