1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by hermy123, May 28, 2006.

1. hermy123

hermy123 Guest

Hi my name is Cody and I have 4 purple pincher  hermit crabs I think, and I'm new to them.Their names are spongebob, Mr. Krabs, plankton, squidward. I have them in a plastic tank only temporary until I get enough money to get a bigger tank and more sand. I have some questions I know this might sound bad but do the pinches hurt from a hermit crab. I mean does it break the skin? oh and also how can you tell how old they are? they are small so I hope that is enough information unless you want me to take pictures of them. Well its really nice to finally find this forum it looks like a good website. Well I got to go bye. ;D

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hi Cody! A pinch from them can hurt, but they do it only out of fear. We like pictures here so share away!

3. hermy123

hermy123 Guest

How do you hold them without making them afraid? But the pinch doesn't break the skin?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

It can break skin, but that's usually with hermit crabs that are on the big side. You could try wearing some thick gloves. Make sure though that you dont drop them, so maybe sitting on some carpet would be good. If you want to handle them, try it slowly. Few minutes and work your way up. Some owners handle thier crabs and other don't.

5. amber

amber Guest

i handled mine only when i had to or when showing them off... sometimes they will be aggressive towards eachother and to break up the fight i would pull one out and set him in a dish by himself for a few then put him back in, or just pick him up and place him somewhere else in the tank... if you pick them up around the opening of the shell then they seem the most comfortable...

6. hermy123

hermy123 Guest

I want to hold them but I thought with gloves they would just pinch because they have something to hang onto. And also would I eventually be able to just use my bare hands to hold them? what are the ways of making them scared so I wont?

7. it can vary with each crab.  Some like to have a solid surface under them, like your flat palm, but then I've also had a few that, when placed flat on the hand, with grab the palm and it's hard to get them off of that, and those HURT!  The more important thing is to remain calm.  If you are scared or nervous, it can just make it worse, and then if they pinch you, if you freak out and start flailing your hand around, they AREN'T going to let go, but instead they'll pinch tighter...  If you know you have one that is NOT a pincher you might try to get comfortable holding him and stick to just him for a week or two until you gain enough confidence to hold a crab, not knowing if he'll pinch or not, and if he does, you have to know that you'll be able to control yourself, because, to be honest, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can do to make them let go until they decide to, short of killing them. 

oh, and by the way, welcome! 

8. hermy123

hermy123 Guest

Ok thanks well theres this one he is spongebob and he comesout when I pick him and my dad held him and he didn't pinch but theres this one Mr.krabs that will hold onto the sponge and pretty much anything he can grab so I guess he will be the first one to pinch so I might start with gloves with him. What are the ways of them getting scared that they will pinch?

9. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

usually they pinch when they are scared and think they will fall, they are just trying to hold on.` :-\ so, try not to say and move so much when you first hold them. it takes time for them to get use to it. at least for me.

10. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

I bought two Es because they pinched me.  I figured they were spirited enough to defend themselves, they were hardy enough to stay alive.  They are medium crabs and one pinched hard enough to break the skin and it got infected because I didn't wash it well and the other crab made a blood blister.  Once I got them home and let them destress for a few weeks, then I started to handle them again.  I haven't ever been pinched since then.  Once they get to know you and feel safe, they stop pinching.  It is best to hold them w/ your palm stretched flat so there is nothing for them to grab onto.