1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mariah, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

:hermzpoo: hello my name is Mariah and I'm new here and a new hermie owner. I got my first hermies about 4 weeks ago and got my other about 3 weeks ago I have all PPS ( I think) I have 2 small and 1 med. I made my first order from this store a week ago and recived the package in 3 days. tottaly satisfied with my purchase. I have a few question...my med hermie she has the water pocket in her shell and its pretty big and she has had it for about a week now and no other signs of molting. how long do u think it will be before she molts? also I bought Hbh aqua-pure safe soak and spray made for hermit crabs for misting them is this product safe? is also hbh hermit crab salt safe for my hermis salt water dish ingredients is sea salt and calcium carbonate? and also in my tank the humidty is way high and my tem is a little under 70 how can I even them out. I have a ten gallon with a metal screen on top I tried card bored on top and saran wrap but my temps and Hum is all over the place and I live in colorado its dry and frezzing here at night. I have a under tank heater also. any way to keep it even out? thanks much for the help.

2. alliswell777

alliswell777 (Small Crab)

:welcome: hello! what kind of hum & temp gauge do you have? analog or digital? i just got digital & its quite a relief to look at those numbers & feel fairly confident about them. i had way high hum last week, so i took my whole top off for most of the day, & even scooped out some sand (both my crabbies are down). my hum got straight, but here at night (southeast texas) my temps are falling too low. i did buy two pieces of 8 by 10 plexiglass for my top, & i feel better about that- more control over my airflow. ive been told that 10 gal tanks are hard to manage (hum & temp). im just a beginner here too, so ill leave the good advice-givin' to the pros!! :noidea:

3. Mariah

I have a analog... I can't wait for wensday to go down my med hermie. I had to take my top off a few times my hum was over 90%

4. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

for the pocket on the hermit crab it means she is ready to molt so make sure you have lots of substrate. what type do you use? the best is playsand, get it moist like sand castle wet.. not too wet but not dry either. also have lots of fresh foods like fruits and veggies. for the humidity make sure your gauges are correct. mine gave crazy readings and I bought a new one and now its way better... mke sure you don't have the cheap plastic ones cuz they don't work, to test how off ur humidity gauge is put two table spoons of salt in a ziplock and add a little water. then leave ur gauge in there for 5 hours and it should say 75... and like alliswell777 said pixie glass will help control the heat and humidity.
    hope this helps....

5. Mariah

I have Calci sand from the pet store and they ate all the coconut fiber beding stuff this weekend I will buy more. I have addiction foods in there now lots of calcium to. and I know the sand is good cause my other one is makeing tunnels everwhere lol do u think she might be putting her molt off? she still has energy

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

not a pro here! but did have my crabs for going on 2 yrs now and on here a lot! If I were you I'd get rid of of calsi sand all togther as soon as you can, use it only as a feeding treat. you need something like eco earth, play sand or what ever else some of the others use on here.. but calsi sand is yucky to use as a substrate, it will start smelling really bad & clumps & not to mention very $. When we first had ours we had that stuff and at first we thought it was the crabs that stunk then figured it out it was the calsi sand. Mine love air popped pop corn { no salt or seasoning} cuttle bone from bird isle, plain not flavored millett from bird isle, worm casting, check the food llist on here. If your crab does go under don't go digging him up , it can take some time before they are done so don't worry if they are missing for weeks or a few months. give em' lots of things to climb on to, LOL! My dorky climber just fell from the tank lid he was climbing on, what a goof ball! You shouldn't have to mist your crabs at all if your humidity is right, they don't get misted in the wild, if you need to boost your humidity then mist your sand, you can always add salted treated water if it drys out and stir it up or mist fake plants. From what I understand you have uth{ under tank heater} where is it located? the best place is on one end of your tank on the back, not underneath. This way they have a warm end and a cool end to go to, I would check your salt choice, most use something different ocean something, I have to use the walmart aquarium type salt, i don't get what they all use around where I live! Happy Crabbing to you!!!!!

7. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

yea calci sand isn't a good choice, it smells and idk if this is true but i've noticed that when my crabs dig lots of holes the substrate wasn't good.. like it was too dry or not right but when I put the play sand in they only dug one hole and had a very successful molt

8. Mariah

can I fill my whole tank with EE? and can they molt in Ee with no problems? i heard Calci sand wasn't good like the colored and glow in the dark. my uth is on the bottom on one side. I use to have it on the side instead but It was not putting off no heat and works much better under the tank. if I put EE in do I have replace it every month and how would I clean it like do u bake it like u can with play sand? you guys are so verry helpfully thank you

9. scoobdoo

I have almost all e.e. now with some play sand & lots of people use all e.e. it's just a personal thing. I used all sand, but the bags were so heavy to try and load in the car & in the house & finding a place to dispose of the sand when I changed some out, So I wanted to switch to e.e. but had molting crabs so I carfully dug around and got most of the sand out and made sure I didn't unbury a crab and put e.e. it's much lighter & when they came up I got the rest of the sand that I could and what I had left I just mixed up. I'm pretty sure you can rinse e.e. out with your salted treated water and bake it dry on a low setting or rinse it out and hand squeeze a lot of the water out. not sure how you would go about that, see you asked a good question! I have had my e.e. in now for abouit 3 months, I don't know about your crabs but mine tend to poop in one spot, the fave hang out area, so that's where I super clean Any way any calsi sand is bad for bedding. if your substarte is as deep as it is supposed to be then your uth can't warm the tank enough and your humidity will be off & being under your tank traps all the heat below the surface of your bedding & just dries out your bedding, creates a hazardous condition for a molting crab, the heat that is trapped down there can dry out your crabs gills, he can get to hot if he is to close, I THINK that's why everyone on here suggest side mounts. I will ask about how to clean e.e. so look for it on here!

10. alliswell777

i spent $12 on a hum & temp gauge (two pack- analog) @ the petstore. never felt confident of the readings- & always in doubt whether to mist my tank or allow more airflow. come to find out, theyve got digital hum/temp gauge @walmart for under $7 in the hardware dept. uses one AAA battery. go figure! i will be getting my UTH soon, guys, and the one i saw @ petstore for almost $20 said its good for a "small" tank...MEANING SOMETHING LIKE THE CRABBIE-FEMA TRAILER THEY GIVE YOU YOUR CRAB IN @ THE KIOSK!! (my tank 10 gal) a hood at same store costs about the same- & i know the day/nite bulbs arent that much. so, do i spend $20 on UTH or the hood?? AND WHAT DOES EE STAND FOR? i know its substrate...BUT WHAT IS IT?? :dork2:

11. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

ee is a mixture of coconut fibers and other plants fibers, its brown and comes in little compressed packs, you add water and then they expand and you can spread it out in your tank :)

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

For a 10 gallon tank, a UTH will help only if you mount it on the glass right above your substrate. Any larger than a ten gallon and they don't do too much if you're going to use them for a primary heating source.

If the hood is the type that takes bulbs, then I would go with that. Make sure it is the type of Reptile Hood that can withstand the heat of the bulbs. I'm not sure if the regular Aquarium Lids can withstand it.

Anyone have a thought on this?? :flower:

13. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

well i don't know if this is a good set up but I have some small undertank heaters that i place a bowl of water and sponges over and then i have a screen mash top that I covered w/ insulafoam... just a styrafoam board used for insulating windows and I cut the corners off to give fresh air and I also cut a hole for my clamp light. it seems to be working very well in keeping the humidity and heat since its starting to get very cold in Nevada.

14. Mariah

inside the tank?

15. Mariah

If I wear to get lights whay watts should I get and type for my 10 g? Im going to update to a bigger tank after the holidays.

16. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

well i have a 20 gal tank and 15 watts is more than enough but idk if they have lower wattage than that. you could also use an undertank heater to try and heat up your tank

17. alliswell777

ok, ill go with the hood, but i didnt notice if it was a reptile hood or not. it did have fixture for lights tho. as far as the light wattage- i read one post, said one watt for each gallon. i dont know... the whole bulb thing has me perplexed. i dont want to roast my hermies. :tuna: that hood i checked out had a space for a long bulb, & two spaces for two shorter bulbs. i assumed the large would be for the dayglow, & the two small would be moonglow. oh, i moved my tank into my room the other night, and after we all went to bed, i heard carries shell clinking against the glass of the tank!! she & petri are still down tho. carrie is right up against the glass in the back corner of the tat. hugged up next to the cocohut. i can see her legs sometimes if i look behind the tank. do they move at all when they are molting?? do they still need "moon lighting" when they are down for a molt?? carrie went down sept. 19th & petri went down oct 1st...just 2 days after we got her. i only had the chance to mite-bathe her those two times, then she went under. do mites transfer onto the newly molted crab? i guess they would, huh? when she comes up, do i still need to bathe her the 5 days to check for mites? is it safe to bathe after they come up? thanks guys!

18. scoobdoo

after mine came up after a molt I gave mine a gentle bath so I wouldn't stress him, but I had to cause I had a crab attacking him, they have this death smell that makes them smell yummy to other crabs. This took the smell away. I would keep their conditions the same for now until jellybean or someone can get to you {day / night cycles, waters, keep cuttle bone in there at least}, they will eat their exoskeloton or how ever you spell it, they will move around a bit until they find the "right" spot and you'll hear them clicking and clacking then you won't hear anything at all for weeks or months depending on how long it takes for them to molt. Mine molted with in 2 weeks after I bought them & was down for 2 months!, makes for a boring tank but it's worth it when they come up. I have a moon glo bulb they don't put out much heat at all I use it on dark dreary days & I have left it on all night. It was suggested to leave it on when I went on vacation but cause hubby has a phobia of leaving anything plugged in I couldn't, he is going to have to get over it next yr cause when we got back the house was freezing, it doesn't put out much but it would of been enough to keep them warmer. Did you suspect your crabs having mites when you bought them? Did you actually see little bugs crawling? I'd say if you didn't see anything and you bathed them i wouldn't worry to much until they come up there is nothing you can do about it now, you don't want to unbury them ,I just bathed mine once when I brought them home

19. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Good info Scoobdoo :rockz:.

I would still use the light during the day to simulate daytime and the Night Glo bulb during the night. You never know when a crabbie might come back up, plus they give off a bit of heat, depending on the wattage of the bulb. :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.