1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! Newbie Who Needs Help!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by bonechickchris@aol.com, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Oh, I have taken all the pointy shells out they look silly in them and it seems they are hard for them to get around in. She will change eventually and be fine in a normal shell. ;)

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Honestly, I don't ISO molters unless they surface molt (which hasn't happened yet). If your crabs are getting a full balanced diet (protein (hopefully a shrimp/bug kind and a non shrimp/bug kind) every day, calcium, fruit, veggies all daily, plus nuts/grains, algae/seaweed, etc.) you shouldn't have much of a problem with molters being attacked. They dig down and you won't see them for a while, then they'll come back up and be all new again. I actually just had a molter come up...I was rather surprised as she'd only been down for about a month, but her leg tips are really sharp and she's turning a nice caramel color (pretty neat coloring for an E).

The problem with ISOing pre-molters is that the new living space switch can freak them out and cause them to put off molting for a while until they're used to their new surroundings. Also, I'd have to have an ISO tank for each crab and I honestly think mine would spend all their time in their ISO tanks (tiny crabs with a good diet = molting every other month or so).

Candy stripe shells aren't that great of a shell for a PP (or any crab really), which means he was probably put into it to make him seem more fancy. I have a few candy stripe shells but no one has ever changed into them, so I'd personally not offer him more of them.

3. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

Is the salt water in a bottle ok? I just bought some at the store and it was labled hermit crab salt water. I tried some and I could taste the salt, so that means that it is ok for them, right.

4. emmac350

Unfortunately, no. It's the same crud as the "Hermit Crab Salt Water Conditioner," which isn't safe. You can taste salt in it, true, but it's not "salt" that crabs are looking for - it's the trace ions from things other than NaCl (table salt and a majority of ocean water is NaCl, but crabs don't recognize that as salt water unless it also has Potassium, Magnesium, and other salts dissolved in it) that crabs want.

What you need is a salt water mix intended for salt water aquariums, like Instant Ocean, Oceanic, or Red Sea Salt mix. That's the only safe kind of salt water to offer crabs.

5. manolo578

manolo578 (Micro Crab)

Is salt water in a bottle alright for the crabs?

6. cloie74

Like Emma says, no, it is not OK for crabs

7. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

Thank you cloie for the pics! Yes, I do have Myrex shells, and actually have one crabbie, Nascar, in one now. However, the rest of my hermies are being snooty and will not use them. I must have bought atleast 13 different myrex shells from craft stores and such, and I just cant get them to go in. So picky! LOL!
    But when I put that one polished turbo in there, boy, all of them were after it in minutes, and it was moved into within a few hours after putting it in the tank. I have also seen some hostility because of this shell, with the other crabs harrassing the crab that was lucky enough to take it first, so I am trying to avoid a fight and get some more that are similar.
    It would really be nice if they just settled for the myrex (and A LOT cheaper too! LOL!)
    Just out of curiousity cloie, the crabs that you have in the myrex right now, how big of the openings? Are they over 1 1/2"?

So my son keeps harrassing me, trying to temp me to get the crabbies out to play. When we would take them all out to play, he would call is "crab school", I guess since he just started pre-school himself, that is where he got the idea from!
    Anyway, I keep trying to tell him that they are resting and soon we will be able to play with them. I keep telling him around Halloween, which will be the 3 or 4 week wait, is when we can let them come out. So I know Halloween morning, he is going to want to play with those crabs! LOL!
    So, do hermit crabs ever really get used to humans? Or even attached to them>? Do they have the capabilites to learn to trust and like you, or will they always be hesistant? Just curious if they are capable of forming a bond with a human or not.
    Christy

8. bonechickchris@aol.com

ohh, I missed all of the new posts before I just posted! DUH!

I have also heard from my friends here that the pre made water is not the best, and that you are better making your own with aquarium salt. I did sort of the same thing, and thought the salt labled for hermit crabs was good, but I found out it was better to use the aquarium salt, such as Oceanic as suggested in the beginning of this post.

Yea, unfortunatley, Seaside was in the candy shell when we got him. I do not have any others, so I am hoping he will go into one of the many small turbos I have. He keeps checking them all out, but just is not able to find one he likes yet. Thank you for letting me know that the candy shells are a no-go.

I still have not for sure, identified all my crabbies as Equ or PP (that is the 2 different I think, right). Anyway, they all look like PPs except Seaside who is kind of whitish in color. All my others are dark orange and purple shades. I am going to have to check them out for sure.

While searching and reading crabby info online, I stumbled across a CNN report of how sellers physically force hermies into prettier shells. I could not bare to watch the actual footage. It made me sick the whole night. I hope poor Seaside did not have to go through that torture.
    But to be honest, out of all the hermies, he and Letz-see are very active, even since the enviroment change, as if nothing happened, so he seems to be a happy hermie. Hopefully he was not forced into his shell. Lets hope I can just get him into a better shell at some point.
    Christy

9. bonechickchris@aol.com

oh, of course, I fogot to say yet another thing! LOL!

Yes, I have noticed that the one hermie, Nascar, that I have in the Myrex, seems to have some trouble getting around with all of the points on his shell. I think I mentioned this before. THat is one of the reasons why I am on the hunt for the turbos. I think I am just going to have to accept that I will have to spend $$$$$ to get the turbo shells that are big enough. Shucks!
    Christy

10. cloie74

Some crabs will warm up to people, I mean not like a dog or cat but come out of their shells and walk on your hand and stuff, while others will clamp up tight when touched and just be "Crabby"
    My son just started Pre School and the crabs are still "off Limits" to him so I know exactly what you are dealing with lol.
    My murex go from 1" all the way to 2.5" I just bought some Turbos fora reasonable price on Ebay, i think I got a set of 6 1.5-2 " for like $7 including shipping, do a search for the seller anyname99 she may have more lots like it, they were the cheapest I have seen and the only auction I have seen with JUST Turbos.
    Try boiling your shells again in some purified salt water, use a good Marine salt like Oceanic.
    Use an extra tablespoon of salt boil them for about 15 min and let them cool so that a little of the water stays in the shell, after about an hour stick them in the tank, see if that brings them around.

11. bonechickchris@aol.com

YES! I emailed anyname99 before you even mentioned her! LOL! Still waiting for a responce though. I saw her lots, but the ones she has up now are just a little small. You probably got the last of the big ones! LUCKY! LOL!

Yes, Donnie loves pre-school. If only he will love school like this for the next 14 years! LOL!

He asks every night, " can we do crab school?", and I have to tell him that they are on vacation until Halloween! So he says on Halloween he wants to have a "Spooky Crab Party!" LOL!
    Atleast Letz-see and Seaside are active day and night now, unlike the other buried hermits, so atleast he can check them out from the tank. I think they liked the crab addiction menu so much that they are staying up all day and night just to eat!
    I have noticed that they like all the ewe type stuff, like the cricket heads, anchovies, worm castings, earthworms, etc. And, I noticed they like the millet puffs from Vicky, it looks like puffed rice cereal. They are all gone very morning. I am wondering if I should buy some puffed rice for them.
    Christy

12. cloie74

Glad they like the food and mine are the same the grosser the better lol
    Just becareful because food "Gone" may mean buried, one of my crabs is a little hoarder and I have to dig stuff out of the coco hut all the time! It gets real stinky!

13. bonechickchris@aol.com

Oh NO! I hope there are no buried anchovies and cricket heads! LOL! Last night they went to town on those 2 things! YUCK! Still do not see them getting into the flower type things yet.

I was looking at poor Snoopy today. He is so overgrown for his shell. His poor claw is sticking out. Why does he have to be so picky>? I wish he would atleast go into one of the several myrex just until I find some big turbos. I have one seller on ebay getting in some shells on Thursday that will hopefully fit him.

Christy

14. bonechickchris@aol.com

Well, I went to another pet store and happened to find a turbo that was slightly bigger, but not a whole size up, of the shell Snoopy is currently in. Do you know, I put that shell in the tank, turned around to tell my husband what drinks to pick up to the store, turned back to the tank, and he was already in that new shell, just finishing up the change! Holy Moly! The 5 second shell change! I told you he needed out of that other shell badly! I still have to find him a bigger shell, but for now, atleast I know he is more comfortable.
    But atleast I know that I am not crazy, and that this darn crab is very selective and really will only change to turbo shells. What is he going to do when he gets really big? LOL!

We also got a new friend today, Donnie named him Lighthouse. We got him near the lighthouse here. I have him in ISO. I promised him another crab after Basketball passed, so I figured why wait anymore. How long do you guys keep newbies in ISO?
    I hope it was ok, but I gave him a salt water bath since he is new.

I just noticed the picture contest for October. Have any of you entered? How do you post a picture directly on the thread?>

Also, cloie, how do you get all of your crabbies' names that appear at the end of your posts? I still have not figured out how to do that yet, and would like to list my hermies too!
    Christy

15. emmac350

Glad to hear of the shell change - sounds like Snoopy is really picky!

For a really new guy, the salt water bath is a good idea, and I'd say keep him in ISO for two months or until after he molts, whichever happens first (not digging him up if he's molting at the two month mark). It seems like forever, I know, but unless other circumstances prevail (I one time had all the EE in my ISO mold as I expanded it 2 hours away from my house with a gallon jug of distilled water to bring the new guys home, so they were out of ISO in a week) keep him in there as long as you can stand it. ISO is for him to realize that he doesn't have to fight for food, water, or shells, and for you to see if he has any illnesses or mites that need to get taken care of before introducing him into the main tank.

16. cloie74

For Pictures, the easiest way is to get a picture hosting account, i use photobucket, it is free and you can upload ALOT of pics.
    Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
    Once you upload the picture you want, next to it you will see various links like an embedded ling and IMG link.
    Copy the IMG link and paste that right into a post and once you post it your pic will apprear.

The names...that is my Signature, at the top of the screen click on User CP then on the left click on Edit Signature.
    That is also where you would go to add an Avatar under your name like i have.

17. bonechickchris@aol.com

Thank you cloie for the picture info! I think I did it right. I just posted a picture of Lets-see on the October contest thread. I hope I posted ok!

Emmac, sorry for my dumbness! I know I am going to feel like a dork after you tell me, but what does EE mean>? Did your substrate mold? If that was it, what kind was it? I want to make sure I do not get the same problem. Right now I am using coconut husks, with only a little sand under their food dishes.
    Christy

18. emmac350

EE = Eco Earth. My substrate (Eco Earth at the time) did mold because I didn't use ocean water to expand it and keep it damp. If you use full strength ocean water for the coconut fiber, it shouldn't mold unless they leave food all over it.

19. bonechickchris@aol.com

I did regular water my very first time. But now I use the salt water! LOL!

Here is a question: if a hermie moves to a different part of the tank after being buried for a time, is he probably done molting, or do they ever change places in the middle of a molt?
    Herbie, who has been away for quite a while, did pop up today to move to the opposite side of the tank. I only caught the end of it, but from what I saw, he looks like he has finished molting! Yippee! I hope he comes out more often now!
    Christy

20. emmac350

Crabs won't move mid-molt (and by that I mean in the middle of their post-molt recovery; molting takes less than a day, but the hardening process takes a while) until they're hard enough that substrate won't get embedded in their new exo. If he has molted, he should have new coloring, hairy legs, and sharp black tips on the ends of his legs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.