1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello! Newbie Who Needs Help!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by bonechickchris@aol.com, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonechickchris@aol.com

bonechickchris@aol.com "Preparing For First Molt"

I will check out what moon bulbs are. Actually, near the heater, it is 81, center of the tank is 75, and other end is 69.

I just placed my order with Vicki! I got the 4 different $4 sampler packs! And I got a corner net that has a climb up part to get into the net, like a hammock.

My birthday is tomorrow and I when I went shopping yesterday, I told my husband I spent some money on some B day gifts for me! LOL! Little does he know it was ALL on hermit crab stuff (oh, and some cold medicine for me!).
    This all started on my son's B Day. ANd he spent all of his money on the crabs too! LOL!

Never knew that I would get so involved with these little guys!
    Christy

2. bonechickchris@aol.com

Oooh, Another question.

I m having trouble finding turbo type shells with openings between 1 1/2" to 2". Found one big polished one at the store, and all the crabs were checking it out. Lets-see took it within only hours!

They seem to like these best and will not checkout the bigger shells I have that do not have that round opening like a turbo.

I have went to the Crabbage Patch , Petdiscounter, and other places and they really do not have the bigger openings or are unavailable at this time. Below is what I am looking for. Notice the tip is higher up than the smaller ones. Christy

[​IMG]

3. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

There is no Pic in your post ;)
    Do you have a Michael's Craft store near by? They sell bags of shells and some of them contain the green turbos, I got 4 med and small in my last bag, the bag is only about $4 and comes with other shells you can use to decorate ;)
    Walmart sometimes has them in the craft department and of course there is always Ebay. Sometimes shipping can be a little crazy though!
    For an online shell store I have hear people getting good shells here: Medium Sea Shells

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I've always done ebay for my shells - search for "hermit crab shells" and see what you can find.

5. bonechickchris@aol.com

I wonder why the pic did not show. I thought I saw it post. Oh well! Is there a special way to post pics on the threads?

I looked under that link, and the only ones there that had an opening big enough was the polished turbos for $12.50 each. the Polished turbo I found that Lets-see is now in, I found randomly in a bag of 2 large hermit shells for $4. Boy, I wish the store had more bags to look through.
    I have Myrex (sp?) shells now which have a similar opening. That is why Nascar is in right now, but they just seem heavy, and harder for them to move around in with all of the points on the shell.
    I will check out Ebay again, I have looked before. I asked some people on Ebay, and they did not have Turbos at the 1 1/2"-2" Opening size.

Any of you guys have any hermies in that big of a shell? ANd what kind of shell is it?
    Thanks guys!
    BTW< it was nice of HCRU to send me a happy birthday email today!

6. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    Oh, happy birthday! Sorry i havent posten untill now....haha, iv been very busy! Anyways, I got my shells at a craft store, and some i bought sepratily, and, nope, none of my crabs are that big!

7. bonechickchris@aol.com

Well of course, at the time, we picked the biggest crabbies! LOL! Seemed like a nice idea at first, not realizing that their next step up would make them huge! But then again, the ones we picked I felt so bad for since you could tell they were way too big for the shell they were in, and had no access to bigger shells, so I felt like I was rescuing them! LOL! DId you know that 2 of them changed shells the first night I brought them home! Poor guys!

I live on the NJ shore, so at the beach and boardwalk, there are a few places that sell the hermies. TO tell you the truth, I have had better luck with the hermies from those shore places than the actual pet stores. I wonder if it because they have the ocean air next to them?

I looked on Ebay, and really could not find any turbos the size I need, except one guy had one for $10 plus $12 shipping ( $24! ) , and another that was a rare shell for $74! I love my crabs, but cant see paying that money for shells that they may not even go into!

I just posted a little while ago too. I have had this horrible cold that is getting worse. I seem to always be sick on my birthday. I think my allergies start it on.

Oh, BTW< I also went to the craft store and most were shells in bags already. I found a lot of those Myrex with the points. No turbos big enough. Why do my crabs have to be so picky? LOL!

8. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    UGG!! i know! my hermit crabs are such snobs....will stick up thier nose...opps i ment fellers, at anything not good enough!

9. cloie74

My crabs play with shells, there is this one painted shell in my tank that I cant get out of there and it is making me SO mad! lol
    Every morning or so I wake up and somebody else is in it! they are chain reaction shell changing at night lol
    I can just imagine the conga line lol
    One of these days I will catch them and snatch the stupid bright red spiderman shell out of there!
    My 4 year old is going to be disappointed but he knows they are bad for the crabbies!

10. bonechickchris@aol.com

If you look at this link you will see the type shell I am looking for. Of course, they are out of the size I need LOL!
    Tapestry Turbo Hermit Crab Sea Shells

I did the cage change! yeah! I put in a coconut fiber mat instead of the metal climbing wall. I guess it will take time for them to realize that they can climb it. I need to get some more velcro because it is not staying up. ANything else I can use to keep it up?
    They are all buried now in the new coconut husks! I know it is good for them, but my son is sad that he cant watch them!

I put the heater on the lower side of the tank. So I will let you know how the readings turn out.

GAve them their salt bath. No sign of any mites. :)

Addiction sent my order priority so I should get the new food tomorrow or Saturday. I am so excited. I also got the small corner hamock net that has a little ladder for them to climb up. I am sure they will love that.

Well, hopefully they all wont dissapear in the sustrate forever now! They already knocked over their food and water bowls from digging. I dont know what i am going to do with that!
    Christy

11. cloie74

Suction cups are your best friend lol
    they also sell little clips that clip to the lid of the tank I have sen them but never tried them. The 3M Removable sticky hooks work awesome too but they can sometimes be costly.
    your crabs are HAPPY! (and probably a little stressed from the move) I bet they wont all stay down..just for a couple days to destress, it is important that you dont touch them for a few weeks now and that they not be in an area of your house that gets a ton of traffic, a quiet room where you can go visit is best.

12. bonechickchris@aol.com

Of course I woke up today and they knocked over all of their food and water bowls! Why do they have to dig and sleep under their food? LOL! I know sand is not that great, but maybe I should use sand just under the food and water bowls so they dont dig? hmmm, any suggestions?
    I just tracked my addiction package and it is in my town so I will get it today! Yeah!!!! I cant wait to check out all of those goodies!

Just wondering, how do you guys use those moonlights? How do you put them on the tank?
    Christy

13. cloie74

What I did is graded the level of sand in my tank from about 5" down to about 1.5" on the shallow side is where the food and water is and it discourages them a little from digging, not saying they wont try lol.

I have a 20 Gallon long tank with an aquarium lid, it has spots for ligt bulbs.
    Moon bulbs are like black lights, the purple (or sometimes red) Glow light.
    It provides them heat at night without disrupting theit light cycle of 12 light/12dark because the bulb simulates moon light, while providing heat.

I have 2 25 Watt bulbs in there because the lid is supposed to be for a fish tank and not for heat bulbs I was afraid I would melt the plastic.

If you get a reptile tank lid I think it will hold up to a 200 watt heat bulb with no problems but they are MUCH more expensive than the aquarium lids.
    the bulbs are fairly cheap usually from $3-$8 depending on the wattage.

14. emmac350

I have a combination reptile hood that has a spot for 2 incandescent bulbs (the screw in kind) and one fluorescent bulb. I have a full-spectrum fluorescent bulb for their day cycle and a moon glow and am picking up a ceramic heating bulb today or tomorrow for heating and night cycle.

Moon glow bulbs aren't the same as black lights. Black lights produce a ton of UV light and crabs won't realize that it's night if you use a black light as your moon glow bulb because of the UV rays. Black lights are the same lights that are used in bug zappers and tanning beds and I know when I first had bought a black light to use for a heat bulb, I was recommended not to use it because of the possibility of UV/UVA overdose on the crabs (on a different crabbing site). Crabs need some UV, just like people do, but just like people, too much isn't a good thing. Moon glow bulbs have an internal coating that prevents the UV from coming out of the bulb.

15. bonechickchris@aol.com

I dont know if I told you guys yet, but I got my Addiction order! I am having so much fun putting all the little different treats in their food bowl!
    She really sent me some great stuff! The only thing is that I got the 4 different can I have a Taste samplers and the little baggies do not say what they are so if I want to order some more, I have no idea what half of the things are! LOL! Any of you guys able to tell the difference>?

I am wondering if I am suppose to give them a little of each thing every day, or just one or two different things a day, or a bit of each different food group like veggie, protien, fruit, grain, etc. What do you guys do?

And I thought I would just ask you guys this,
    I know that hermies all have different personalities. But I have one hermie that since we got him, does not move around much. He (Herbie), has always buried himself since we got him in August. He stays buried for days on end. Usually he will not come up unless I move him for some reason.
    Do some hermit crabs just stay buried and sleep forever? Or is it just a long phase? Just curious if you guys have a hermit crabs that sleeps for week on end.
    Christy
    BTW, still no luck on shells. I must have emailed 7 different places and sellers, and most did not even right me back :(

16. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Congratulations!!! Vicki's store is the best!!! I love the Hermit Crab Addition Store!!!

17. emmac350

With the packs that you got, I recommend you get on the website and label everything by comparing the picture to what you have. It's how I do it, I just write directly on the little baggie.

I offer two proteins (bugs/shrimp/that sort and fish/dried meat that is non-bug kind), veggie, fruit, calcium, cellulose (the plant stuff that isn't a veggie or fruit, like clover leaf or dandelions), a flower, and a nut/grain daily. If they don't eat it, oh well. I don't stop offering it if they don't touch it once because sometimes they won't eat something for five or six offerings and then eat it all the next time.

If he's buried, he's not sleeping - he's most likely molting and he'll be coming up soon if everything went well for him. If a crab doesn't come up for more than a week or two, it's easiest to assume a molt and wait at least two months before you start worrying. Then when you see him next, check him out - sharp black leg tips? Hairy legs? New coloring? If he has those, he molted.

18. bonechickchris@aol.com

THanks for the molt info! I thought he might just be a lazy crab since he has been that way much of the time since we got him the end of August, or first week of September. So it hasnt even been 2 months. I just wanted to make sure that he was not missing something in his diet or such that was making him so reclusive.
    So if they bury themselves before I realize that they are molting, do I just leave them there instead of putting them in ISo>?

I am still on a shell hunt. Still cannot find any reasonable large turbos, although the crabbagepatch said that they will be getting a new shipment in the next few weeks which may contain some that I need.
    I have bought so many other large shells. I must have 25 large shells here that they will not use! LOL! ANd I know Snoopy is searching every day and night, checking out the new shells I put in there, but he just turns them down! So snooty!

It has been nice writing here. It gives me something to look forward to every night! Is it ok that I am still on the same thread? Or do people usually start a new thread for everything?
    It has been nice posting on the same thread since I ask so much! LOL!
    Thanks guys!

19. bonechickchris@aol.com

Oh yeah, of course, I forgot another thing! LOL!

Seaside is a small hermie. He is currently in one of those really tall and skinny dunce cap looking shells, I think they are called candy stripe or something?
    Anyway, do I have to get the same sort of shells for him also, of would he change into those small turbos? Did not know if the shell he is in now would have formed his abdomen different or not.

20. cloie74

you may want to try some Murex shells, my PP's LOVE them and they are cheaper then turbos in the larger sizes i actually bought a bag of them in walmart I thought they were conch (Thanks Emma lol) She told me they were a type of Murex shell.
    Anyway might be easier for you to find and they may fall in love with them like mine did ;) Ill show you a pic... This is Spongebarbara lol and Ty in the brown Stripe below...\
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.