1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello I am new to crabs!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Jessica, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jessica and I have been reading all of the wonderful information here and decided I had to join! I'm new to crab keeping so a site like this is the best thing since slice bread  :rockon:

I have 2 crabs that were pond off on me by friend of my mothers, she bought them at the State Fair and just didn't know better. I just want to make it clear that I do not like impulse pets but these guys obviously needed my help. They were being kept in a cricket keeper with about 1/2 inch of sand and 1 little fake palm tree. Sooo I had and still have a lot of work to do to get these guys in a proper habitat. I keep chameleons so I had alot of stuff laying around to use until I can buy more.

They are now in a 63 liter see through sterlite container with 5-6 inches of sand. They have a gradient of tempature on side is 74 degrees f then it gets warmer on the opposite side which runs 76-78 degrees f. Humidity stays between 70 and 80 %. I have a seawater bowl and a fresh water bowl, a couple make shift caves I made from cutting a plastic cup and a small plant pot. I have added shells, a little pot with a soil/sand mix moist enough to tunnel in. I don't have netting yet so I used hardware cloth. I hope I am doing right by them and plan on adding more to their little home. Please if you see anything that I can do to make it better let me know!

I make alot of fresh food to gutload insects so I these guys have been eating fresh food. Tonight shrimp satueed in EVOO is on the menu  :woohoo:

I am super excited to be a part of this crabby community!

2. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

:rainbow:  nice to see a new face on the site. If you're looking for solid information from experienced crabbers then you have come to the right place.

3. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Weeelcome!!! :hula:

This site IS the best thing since sliced bread isn't it? When I first started, these guys helped me so much, and still do when I have the occasional question or problem :)

You seem to be doing really well with the crabbies!! I'm sure they're so happy to have moved in witcha!!!  :party:

4. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Thank you for the warm welcomes !

I really do like these guys, they seem to be warming up to their new habitat. I expect them to be shy for a while though.

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

the best thing to do is let them be for a bit, let them de stress. give them good foods like organic peanut butter, raw honey, cuttle bone, organic baby foods like beechnut & there is an other brand wal mart has. making sure their temp & humidity is right to. bark is another good thing for them and mine really love it! maple & oak bark as well as the leaves those I collect when they fall and are dried out & crush them & save in a sealed air tight jar. The bark I soak in their salt water for hours to kill bugs, you can either bake dry on low temp or do what I do I microwave them in the salt water until they boil! then pour off the water and rinse with reg dechlor water and air dry several days. going to collect acorn caps next to add to my collection of wild foods, of course all should be pesticide free!

6. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Hello Thank you for your reply!

I have the Hermit Crabs in a low traffic area of the house. I figured they would need time to settle. I honestly only bother them to change their water and food.

My neighbor has a Oak tree and he gave me a chunk of bark (no pesticides)for the crabbies  :chuckle: He thinks I am crazy because I always ask him for his Oak leafs lol

So far they seem to be settling in well last night they at almost ll the shrimp in their bowl!

7. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Welcome to the site! Congrats on your new babies. Sounds like you're doing the right thing. The plastic tub is fine for now, but eventually a glass tank is a better choice. Glass holds heat and humidity in better.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome Jessica!!  :cheer:  Glad to have you here.  :flower:

9. scoobdoo

I picked up some acorn caps last night and rinsed them off with their water and letting them dry out, heard they like them to.  boiled an egg last night & gave them some, mine love boiled eggs!

after they get done doing their R&R you can move their tank to a spot where you can enjoy them more, if they seem skiddish when you walk up on them from the sides of the tank you can cover the side up with foil or paper, this really helped mine out until they got used to being in the spot they are in now & I don't have to have the paper on the ends any more & they have been in the same spot since 2009. They are in high traffic area, people are walking by the tank all the time, they just chill! They know no one is going to bother them, but me & it's to move them to clean things and to feed them. I don't handle mine except for this or to maybe snap a picture to enter a contest.

10. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

@CrabAddict- Thank you! I hope I do well with these guys  :flower: I do plan on getting these guys a tank soon but I had to use what was on hand at the time. Now I don't want to keep relocating them so when I do put them in a tank it will be their permanent home  :yes2:

@Jellybean- Thank you for the warm welcome!!

11. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Do you have to grind up the acorn shells?

I was hoping they would eventually get comfortable to share them with the rest of the house lol I just thought putting them where they wont be bothered would be best to get them on track.

The larger of the two always comes running to the front of his makeshift cave (a plastic cup lol) at feeding time to see what I have to offer. :katertater:

I think I have two E's but I don't want to bother them to find out until they are more comfortable.

12. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Awesome! Good luck and feel free to use this site for help. Not sure where you are located but I mention glass being better because winter is coming. Heating a tank can be difficult when the temps drop, especially at night. Just something to consider.

Definitely want pics of the crabbies!

13. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Oh I agree with you 100% about the glass! I live in California so right now the temp seems to be holding mid 70's-80 at the high point.

I really enjoy these guys so when I do get a tank I don't think 10 gallons is going to be big enough  :rubhands:

Gotta say I'm loving this place. I've read every post in the nutrition section lol

I snapped a couple pictures earlier!

14. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

West coast crabber in the house! Yeah you still have time to think about cooler weather. I on the other hand am prepping next month for the cold months. I have strawberries and other exotics that require warmer temps.

Can't wait to see the pics!

15. scoobdoo

negative on grinding the acorn caps! they can use their claws and crack parts off! they have been munchin them up! going to have to go get some more this weekend! going to make a mix of dried maple leaves, dried pears leaves, and acorn caps, also while i'm out going to see if i can find some milk weed, I think that is on the safe food list to.

16. Jessica

Jessica "Never Molted"

Ooo good to know, I will be acorn hunting this weekend!

Thank you