1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from upstate NY

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Heather, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Heather

Heather Guest

Hello all. This seems like such a friendly an knowledgable place. I am sure I will learn a ton here.I have been keeping hermies for about two months now. I have seven small to medium PP's in a 20 gallon high tank with several levels. I have their care down pretty well but sometimes issues are coming up that I am getting stumped on.I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

1- substrate. I started out using coconut bedding.(i forget which brand now) The crabbies loved it and burried themselves in it a lot. However I started getting a mold problem and cleaned it out and went to playsand. I made a huge mistake and bought the quickcrete brand and just now realized it is not good. (also the crabs hate it and spend no time on it) I need to replace all the substrate today and am not sure which way to go. I can't find regular playsand as it is the wrong time of year and no one is stocking it anymore(lowes, home depot, toys r us) I liked the coconut bedding but am worried about mold and also it seems like the stuff always stuck to the crabs legs. I don't know if it bothered them but it really annoyed me.We have a local aquarium store , if I go there is there a good brand of sand to look for?  I am confused!!!!! :BangHead:

2- ISO tanks. If I set up an ISO tank for molts does it usually hold the conditions well if it is not in use. I guess I am wondering if I set it up and it sits- well ,will it be nasty to use when the time comes or should I just have the tank and supplies on standby.Do most of you use an ISO tank or just let them do their thing in the main tank?
    Thank you all for any help!-Heather

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

:welcome:

Eco Earth seems to be a good choice. Were you mixing it with dechlorinated salt water? The salt water will help it not mold. You can also do a sand/eco earth mix. A few members do this method. I use all playsand.

As for ISO's, I don't ISO anymore. I think it's too much stress on them to move them at that time. I dont have any problems with them molting in the main tank. I've done this for over a year now. It's pretty much a personal choice. Do what you feel is right for them.

3. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Hi!  Where in NY are you?  I used to live in Watertown, near Ft. Drum

4. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

what?  Toys-R-Us doesn't carry playsand this time of year?  wow, ours here in Maryland (and yes, we do have winter here) carries it all year long.  the playsand there is the best sand, imo.  it has like no dust to speak of and it doesn't smell bad when you mix water with it like the stuff you got.  my crabs absolutely love that stuff from Toys-R-Us. 

btw, welcome to the forum  :straw:

i use playsand on half the tank floor and cocofiber on the other half and my crabs love both.  some gravitate only to the cocofiber and others only to the sand, some like both.  i also use dechlorinated salt water to mix it and i've never had it mold.  also, make sure you have enough ventilation in the tank to avoid mold but not so much that it drops the humidity down too low (yes, its all a delicate balance).  as far as the fiber sticking to them, the wet sand does as well and i don't think they mind.

we are a very cool group here and we like to have fun.  there's also a lot of knowledge here so keep asking questions if you have them.

see you around the forum.

5. Heather

Heather Guest

Thanks for the advice. I called toys r us and the perspon was not too helpful .Maybe they were cluless too. I think I will go there in person tomorrow.
    We live in the Lake George area.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

No for me when I was in PA and now NC playsand at Toy r us is seasonal- I just bought them out for the winter--well I tried but at $6 a bag------

WELCOME  :madhouse:  :hermez: Im nut job Hermez!!  :chuckle:

7. CrabbyChris22

well, i just went there 2 weeks ago and i got 2 bags.  go up to where they have that display and grab some of those ticket things they have for 50lb bag and take it to the register.  last year i got it in january/february.  maybe just in case though i should go hoard a bunch of bags like Spunky there is doing w/ the salt... :crabaddict:

:eek:ops2:  i'm really going to get it now.... :hilarious:

8. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Hello and  :welcome:!

I'm from NY too! I'm in the city tho. a few hours drive from you.

My Toy r us has it all year round, but when I ask for it in the winter I get strange looks from the employees. I just say I need it for the icey driveway.

Oh no, not the sand too Hermez!

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight: :slapfight:

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Wait what is wrong with being prepared??????????? I could not get it last winter I did not want to be stuck this year- actually I would get more but I have nowhere to store it- you cant open my laundry room door now- but next year I hope to have a shed- I will just buy a pallet then  :muahaha:

11. crabbee

crabbee "First Molt In Progress"

Hi and  :welcome:

I started out with sand and recently have added Eco-Earth. I have not, yet, used the wonderful (but sometimes elusive? lol) TRU sand but...it's on my list!

lol @ Chrispy the instigator.  :chuckle:

12. CrabbyChris22

who's an instigator, ME? :idunno: :wasntme:  noooooo WAY!!!!!

:lies1: :lies1: :lies1:

:oops:, i got busted huh?  oh well

13. crabbee

crabbee "First Molt In Progress"

dayum, my "invisible ink" wasn't so invisible, was it (talk about busted lol)  :eek:ops2: hehehe

14. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs Guest

hello there im from upstae new york too! where upstate... im by saratoga, like the horse racing track.