1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by NaplesSeaShellCo, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaplesSeaShellCo

NaplesSeaShellCo Hi, I'm New Here!

2. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

THey're so cute!!! I'm glad you saved them!!!

3. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

Hi, Frank!

Welcome to HCRU!
    It is a wonderful site.

Your pictures are beautiful.
    What kinds of things do you do
    to spoil your hermies?

[​IMG]cj

4. NaplesSeaShellCo

Thank you! We have 6 crabs and they have 55 gallons to roam. They have 3 1/2" of substrate which consist of 50% aragonite which they love, (Thats were they hide)25% small tumbled gravel, and 25% tiny sea shells. I gave them tons of stuff to climb, huge elaborate corals, large sea shells wrapped in fish net, fish net, finger sponge which they eat the tips of, bamboo, that climbing wall stuff, Some drift wood, fake plants, and a parakeet ladder.

We offer them a ridiculous amount of shells. They are constantly changing shells and its hard to keep track of who is who. They are all in graduating sizes from the smallest to biggest which helps.

We live about as far south in the Continental United States as you can get without being in the Keys. Its a sub-tropical climate. We take them out on warm muggy nights and they love it. They have their own lounge chair completely filled with sea shells which they climb all over from top to bottom. They actually jump in and out of sea shells right in front of us.
    We feed them a variety good wholesome foods. They have a large fresh water pond with sea sponge and coral and a large thorny oyster sea shell full of salt water. I could probably go on forever..

Thanks for the warm welcome.

5. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Welcome to the list Frank. Sounds like your crabs are pretty lucky! Your pictures are outstanding!!! What kind of camera are you using?

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Hi Frank, so nice to "see" you! I just knew once you got your own crabs that they would be very spoiled, but wow, their own lounge chair? That is awesome. [​IMG]

7. NaplesSeaShellCo

I use an Olympus D-560 Zoom digital on a very small tripod. It has been a dependable camera for me, I used it for every single pic on my website.

Here is a great place to visit for hermit crab photo tips. Crabby Talk

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Hello Frank [​IMG]

I'm glad to see you have found HCRU and joined! Your crabs are indeed very beautiful and lucky to have found you. I would love to see them all lounging on their chair at sunset with piles of shells to choose from.

9. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

I would love to see them lounging, too! [​IMG]

cj

10. NaplesSeaShellCo

Next time I get them all up from the aragonite Ill take a pic of them lounging and post it. Ill give them a popcorn party, that usually does the trick.

11. HermieFan

HermieFan "Never Molted"

Thank you Frank for the photography lesson. I have the Cannon Power Shot S1 IS. My major problem is that this camera does not have Macro mode. I have to physically get my camera closer to my subject. I used to use the Sony Mavica. It has a Macro mode. I take a lot of photos of my flowers. I still do, but with the new camera have to get closer. Maybe I will use the Sony to take pics of the crabs. I really want those close, close ups. Lighting seems to be a big issue with me. My crabs only come out at night. I feel bad putting them in the spot light just to take some pics. I tried last night and got the following pics.
    Rawlings

Houdini

I'll try Macro mode with other camera soon.

12. Putertutor

Putertutor Hi, I'm New Here!

Those are really nice photos, Jodie.

Pardon me for butting in, but Jodie, I think your S1 should have macro capabilities. There may not be a "macro" switch, but that model has a great lens on it. You should be able to focus as close as 3.9" with your lens set to its widest angle. If you are having trouble, leave a comment on my blog, http://www.crabbytalk.com and I will see what info I can find.

13. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Cute pics, HermieFan!!!

14. NaplesSeaShellCo

Nice pics Jodie! Lighting up my crabs for taking some pics was a big issue for me also, I didnt like the way my flash shots would turn out. I made a make shift foot switch inline to my photo lamps and I can quickly switch them on and off just for the instant I take the pic. My crabs dont seem bothered at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.