1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by jami85, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jami85

jami85 Guest

Hello everyone. My name is Jami. I am new here. I found this place tonight looking for information, sadly because we lost our first hermit crab. My kids (Emily 13, and Lane 11) talked me into getting them a couple for pets about a year ago. We quickly added 6 more and have thoroughly enjoyed them. We are very sad about the loss of Lucky, but I am glad I found this site because of it.

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

:vinkko: Hello and welcome!

Sorry about your crabbie Lucky.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

:vinkko: You found the right place --WELCOME they are very addicting!  :dancebear:

4. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

yes, you most definately found the right place.  lots of experienced crabbers here to help you out so please, ask questions if you need to know something.

be warned!  we LOVE pictures here.  if you talk about your crabs you'll get bombarded with demands for pics.  i am the Crab of the Week Showcaser (you'll see it over on the left sidebar) so i'll just put it out there that you should think about sending some to me.  the link for instructions is up above in the NEWS section.

welcome to the Addiction, got any pics? :blowheart:

5. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

:banana:  Welcome!  :vinkko:

6. shmama

shmama Guest

:hareiam:  :hello:  :kissflowers: Hello & Welcome!  :dogkiss:  :teddy01:  :sheep:

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome! Thanks for joining our little family.  :petals:

8. jami85

jami85 Guest

Thanks!.... and yes I do have a few pictures. We have 7 crabs now, all PP's aquired from various places. The first 2 (Dallas and Tex) came after 2 years of begging by my kids. We were at the mall in Dallas, Texas, hence their names, and I finally broke down and said OK. I thought they were cute little critters, but I never dreamed how facinated we would be with them. About a month later, I was in the mall in Monroe, LA looking for a "Good Luck" gift for my daughter Emily. She was trying out for flag line that day. I saw this poor crab in a shell much to small desperately looking for a new one. He was fighting unsucessfully with the other big crabs. He was so pitiful. I thought he would be the perfect gift for Emily, so I bought him and a few new shells that looked his size. When I got back home and went to the school to be there for the tryouts, I gave him to Emily. She was thrilled. She made the flag line and named the crab Lucky for that reason. He is the one we just lost. Within another month, we got 5 more crabs....Sandy (from Sponge Bob), Jack and Will (Jack Sparrow and Will Turner from Pirates of the Caribbean, my son Lane's favorite movie), Tiny (because he is just that) and last Cowboy (he was in a shell with the Dallas Cowboys star painted on it). We have thoroughly enjoyed them. Lucky was special though. He was our largest crab and the friendliest. He was not scared and never even tried to pinch anyone. He changed shells several times after we got him home, and we got to watch quite a few times. He wasn't shy either! I was doing a major cleaning a couple of days ago and picked Lucky up out of his usual sleeping corner of the tank. He had molted unexpectedly. At that time, he appeared alive and well. I moved him to the isolation tank with the old exoskeleton. I was actually excited that he had molted I thought successfully. Yesterday I knew something was wrong when I checked on him, and he was limp kindof hanging half out of his shell.  I feel really bad because I think maybe he would have been OK if I had known he had molted and just left him alone. The tank could have been cleaned another time. Emily and Lane are pretty much in denial. He is still in the isolation tank (same sad position). They wont allow the funeral yet for hopes he is not passed on. They think because he has not fallen out of his shell that he may still be alive, but that is not the case. Maybe by this afternoon after school they will allow it. The picture below is of Lucky, God bless his sweet heart, shortly after we got him home. He will always be remembered.

[img=300x198]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/rel0aded/hermies/lucky.jpg[/img]

9. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Lucky was a beautiful crabbie!  So sorry you lost him! :sad5:

But, we are happy to have you here!!!  Welcome to Addiction!!! :hello:

10. jami85

jami85 Guest

Thanks again too all for being so nice.
    Just an update...
    We did have Lucky's funeral after school yesterday. We buried him in his shell as he never fell out of it. He changed shells many times the first week or two after we got him, even back into the painted one he came in several times, until he found the turbo he eventually died in. It was too small for him too, in my opinion. He could not fit all the way in it. I bought him several different types of shells that were larger and left them for him, but he only tried one for about 30 seconds that I know of and went right back to the too little turbo. He was very happy with it, so I didn't worry too much. Now I am wondering if this could have had anything to do with his fate after the molt since he could not get all the way back into the shell like my other crabs have done after their molts? We have only had them a year, but all the others (all much smaller than Lucky) have molted at least once since we got them and have done wonderfully. Any ideas? The kids have already started in on me to get them another "big" one, but after losing Lucky, I'm a bit leary. I was too attached =(.

[​IMG]
    Just another picture of our Lucky. That is Jack behind him and Sandy hiding. We got Sandy and Jack a few days after I brought Lucky home because Lane was upset because he only had one crab and Emily had 2!

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

IM very sorry about Lucky  :sad5: Did you smell the death smell? A shell too small is sometimes a crab trait and I dont believe a death contributor--sometimes they die unexplained deaths.........sometimes its what we are doing..............all we can do is our very best and learn as much as possible about these wonderful creatures!

12. jami85

jami85 Guest

Thanks EZ and yes I did smell him. As a matter of fact, by the time of the "service" yesterday afternoon, it was getting really bad. I had to put him in a baggie until the kids got home. The odor was what convinced them it was time for the funeral.
    I have learned alot that I have done wrong by reading the posts here, but I have also learned alot that I have done right. We bought a book about taking care of them right after we got Dallas and Tex and it was helpful, but this is alot better. We have obviously not done bad since the other 7 are thriving well and they have all been with us in April will be a year.
    Lucky was our fist loss with the exception of another poor little crab soul that I just felt pity for and knew I was bringing him home to die. He was missing his big pincher and a couple of legs and the other crabs were just attacking him. I had gone to the store in search of shells in hopes Lucky would like something more his size (I spent a small fortune on shells for him). When I bought the shells, the lady at the store just gave the little crab to me. I put him in my isolation tank and he passed on the next day, but I felt I did the right thing by allowing him to die in peace. We all knew what was going to happen to him, so that was OK.
    Even though we had him less than 24hrs, he did get a name ...Slugger =). Anyway, I had smelled the smell before with him, but it got bad alot quicker. Lucky had been gone a couple of days before his was that bad.

13. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

every caresheet should recommend that you join a forum so you can get answers to specific questions from experienced crabbers.  Even a thorough book would fall short in comparison to the wealth of info you'll find here!

welcome...and may the force be with you....