1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello everyone in crabbydom

Discussion in 'HermitCrabs"R"Us Exclusive Contest - "A Boardwalk ' started by Mckenny, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Mine does not support lights. It's sort of floppy-ish. I got it at a home depot or Lowe's. It sort of bends. I had to cut it into three pieces because none of the pieces were long enough. I just have a heating pad because it keeps the temp at 84 degrees. Sometimes i put them together. I put a 10 gallon hood in it and support it with the lip of the tank and some scrap peices I got left over. It's sort of confusing and hard to open but, it does the job.:D

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I have a mesh top right now, but my humidity still stays in the 70s. Weird. I don't have to put cardboard over it or anything. I can't really buy a corner tank or one with a stand because I have to put it on the desk in my room.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Do you use your desk Laughs O Lot? The reason I ask is a 55 gallon is pretty big and takes up a lot of room. They are 48 inches long by 13 inches wide by 21 inches high, and weigh around 80 pounds empty. Also take in consideration how tall your desk is and add the height of the tank to it. You want to be able to reach inside of the tank easily.

You may want to consider the "long" tanks, like the 20 or 23 gallon longs. They aren't as tall but have more room length wise. I'm not at all trying to tell you what to do. 55 gallon tanks are great, but from personal experience,having one for crabs and one set up with fish, they can be bulky and heavy and take up a lot of room. Just sending some "food for thought".:)

4. cococrisp

The tanks I get are just "you get what you get" on craigslist. You don't really have the choice of long and tall etc especially if you don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on it. I just pick out some tank and use it and it's very rare that I find a good one that's cheap and less than 20 minutes away. So, I don't have many options. *Sigh*.

5. Mckenny

I know what you you mean. I searched for three months to find the right one. After three long distance trips and much wasted time, I finally found exactly what I wanted. It was almost perfect except for a small section at the top which had melted, but not noticeable.
    Patience is the key...something will eventually come along.:)

6. cococrisp

Yes!!! I just found the perfect tank on craigslist!!!It is only $20 and it is 4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet! It was homemade by someone who does not want it! It also comes with a heating pad and built in lights!! I did not find it at first and I don't think others did either because it was called a reptile enclosure and I did not include that in my daily search. It's been added to the list now.f I emailed them because it is Sunday morning so I can't call until later. I don't even know what I will put in there. My crabs seem pretty happy in their tank and my tortoise in her's. Maybe I could get a lizard or some leopard geckos. There is no way I will ever be able to get a rodent becausem y mom does not like them. The problem for keeping crabs in it is that it has a sliding door so I could not open it to adjust the humidity. I hope it has not been sold yet.:(

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I had no idea.........:(

8. cococrisp

I accidentally pushed the wrong button on the age one.:eek: Then I could not change it.:eek:

9. Mckenny

This is your last chance everyone to tell me what sized setup you have for your hermies.:)

10. cococrisp

I just got an 120 gallo ntank so I now belong in 126 or less. The problem is that it might take a while to be set up.

11. Mckenny

We'll be starting the contest with the small tanks first.:)

12. Laughs O Lot

We're probably going to get a 40 gallon tank for $40. We asked if we could come and get it today, but she didn't reply yet. Hopefully we'll pick it up tomorrow! I hope it's still available! I'm so excited! :D

13. cococrisp

Great Laughs! I am not going to be going for a while though with my new big one.

14. Laughs O Lot

She isn't replying! :( Maybe she's away for Memorial Day weekend.

15. cococrisp

Oh. I would respond to several people.

16. Laughs O Lot

I do, but she seemed really nice and the drive to her town isn't that long, only 46 minutes. Did you ever post in the wanted section before? Do you think I should do that too?

17. cococrisp

Post in both "Community pets" and "For Sale Wanted". You should get replies. While you wait for replies to that, wait for her too. Send her another note saying your still interested. Look in the "Free" Section often because they often have tanks.
    Good Luck.

18. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I just got a bunch of stuff today from Michaels and a pet store: cholla wood, Hiawatha moss, and fake plants. I think I actually have a chance in this competition now!

19. Mckenny

Alrighty...sounds good! :D

20. cococrisp

I just got a ton of new cholla logs too.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.