1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello, brand new to hermit crabs

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by roughhouse, Sep 25, 2012.

1. roughhouse

roughhouse Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello,

I am Nikki and I have 4 human kids (Ben - 15, Romeo - 13, Lexi - 12, and Maia - 11), 5 dogs (Bo - 7 year old pit bull, Vice - 2 year old pit bull, Neeci - 3 year old chihuahua, Ellie - 2 year old chihuahua, and Cali - 1 year old chihuahua), and 4 new hermit crabs (Kermit- medium size PP, Candy - small size PP, Spinner - small size PP, and Midget - smallest, small size PP).

We just got the hermit crabs a week ago. Maia wanted hermit crabs so I started researching and decided to give it a go. Kermit and one that died a couple of days after bringing them home, Shelly, came from PetSmart and the other three came from our local pet store. They are in a 20 gallon high tank. They are very interesting little guys. They are all staying buried during the day except Kermit who sometimes comes out midday and walks around and never fully buries himself. I got a shipment of extra shells yesterday from HCP and Kermit, Midget and Candy have changed shells already although Midget ended up putting Candy's old shell on instead of a new one. Kermit chose the largest of the ones I got so I ordered the medium shell pack too so that he would have more to chose from.

I had no idea when I got started that this was such an all consuming hobby but it is addictive and I spend a lot of time thinking about what they need and looking for more stuff for them to make them as happy as possible.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Great to have you. Its weird because I just got a beautiful Pointer puppy and named her Nikki.Spelled same way.
    Sounds like you love your new hermies. Doing a really good job.It will take a long while to get situated with the tank but eventually you will. You will add things to the tank. Buy things that you thought would be nice but dont work out and finally when you got it just right you will want to change it again. If you need any advice this is the site to ask for it. If you want to post anything you can post it on this site.

3. roughhouse

I have such a hard time not rearranging everything and changing things right now. I know that they are still settling in so I try really hard not to be disruptive. I change their food and water and have added shells but that is it since the initial set up. I bought them a net and I want to put in a shower caddy for a shell shop but I have decided to wait for a few weeks so that they can destress. Some of their EE is starting to dry up on the side of the tank where the UTH is on the back but they are never all up at the same time so I am not sure how to wet it again without possibly hurting one of them. The humidity is at 78% and the temp is 72-78 depending on day or night but I still would like the EE to be damp.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Welcome "roughouse", we're glad you're here! :crab1:

Congrats Trixie---wishing you and your new addition many happy memories together.

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

:welcome:
    buy the way she was a rescue puppy from Petsmart.

6. roughhouse

Congrats on your new puppy! I absolutely adore dogs, all dogs. Nikki is a pretty cool name too, LOL.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

With the EE, if you can make sure no one is buried in a corner of your tank, you can push down with your finger in the EE. Then slowly add some dechlorinated water, little at a time, to make it moist again.