1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heating the crabitat

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by nancy, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

My new straw tank is having a slight heating problem which I want to solve as quickly as possible. I have two UTH's, one at each end and this is where the three straws hang out. The temp is just below 80 and I want to get it up over the eighty mark. Can anyone offer any suggestions? :confused:

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Do you have lights? I dont use a UTH, but a tri combo light and that keeps my tank at 78-80. Adding a light to yours, and with the right wattage you could probably get it to where you want it.

3. nancy

I think I'm going to have to try that. I understand that straws like to bask anyway. It's going to be a struggle to keep both the heat and humidity up I've got the humidity where it needs to be now. What have I gotten myself into? Oh, my husband surprised me last night with a digital camera. Now all I need to do is to figure out how it works!

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Congrats!!!!!

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

get a 10.0 bulb if you can reptisun

6. nancy

I hope this is not a bad thing, but my husband bought a 50 watt daytime bulb and put it in a reflector. It is focussed on the vine portion and not the moss pitts so the humidity is holding steady. He has it on a 12-hour timer and it brings the temp up to 80. When the light is off the temp drops to about 70. I was wondering if it was too strong for the hermies. They cannot sit directly under it because of the placement of the foliage. Does it sound okay or should I try something else?

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

a reptile bulb? reptisun provides the ubv uva rays--something like that--that the sun provides--it helps them digest their food properly (sorry I am not good on technical stuff names) but I know what I am saying LOL
    if a regular bulb then it may not be the best but if reptile its fine--at night you can get moonglos--does not affect their night cycle and provides warmth

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Can they climb the foliage? If so they will find a way to bask under the light. I've never seen a reflector, can you post a pic? The wattage all depends on the tank. If you only need to bump it a bit, start with a lower wattage. Need it higher then get a bit more..

9. nancy

I thought this sounded like a very bad idea. A reflector is a silver bowl-type thing that you screw the bulb into and it reflects the light outward. Since we started using it my hermies are piled up in the moss pitts. Not much activity, just sitting. I'm not used to this. They are usually climbing, eating , or something. Please tell me what you all think. Thanks.

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

I think I would try another light hood. Not 100% sure it would make a difference. They may justbe liking the moss pits alot at the moment. I will have some walking around and climbing but the majority are in the moss pits if I look for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.